OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Avain x vs dsd

Started by Clydetaylor1, May 11, 2019, 04:40:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clydetaylor1

I have some older avain x decoys ( Jake & hen ) they have worked well but don't hold air any more. Was looking at the dsd. How do they compare.

CrustyRusty

I like the DSD personally.  I had set up a dsd and an Avian one day and had a live hen come in and go right to the DSD, walking right past the Avian, and tried to pick a fight with the DSD.  Sold my Avians after that.

The DSD is a bit of a pain to carry, but honestly the Avian are pretty thick and don't take up that much less room in my opinion. 

Ive gotten away from decoys for the most part since most of my hunting is in thick woods, but if I do grab some it will be my DSD's.

rock54

love my dsd decoys,  i have 2 feeder hens, 1 alert hen, that i usually use in a submissive position...they do their part in my decoy set up every year, this year we took 3 birds over my set up, good luck to u in your choices...russ

Dtrkyman

No comparison in my opinion, DSD no question, second choice would be deception decoys then avian.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Triple B

Spend the money,and dont look back.
You will be glad you did.

MK M GOBL

Marc

I have both...

Tend to use a DSD hen with an Avian jake...  The Avian jake is a bit lighter, easier to carry, and will move a bit in a light breeze...  It also leaks, and a stray pellet will destroy it...

I likely will not be purchasing any more decoys (unless mine get destroyed)...

I would also be looking at:

Deception Decoys:
https://deceptiondecoys.com/product-category/decoys/turkeys/

Replica Decoy Company (RCD):
https://replicadecoys.com/

From all accounts RCD and Deception are of similar durability and realism of DSD decoys...  I would likely pick the one that was more affordable or caught my eye more...  Doubtful as to whether any of these decoy companies will fool a turkey better than the other.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

cuppednlocked

I've been using a DSD upright hen for a while.  To me, it's the best option for a hen.  I really liked the submissive head position and the body on the Avian HDR jake so I bought one of those before the season.  It looks good in the woods.

30_06

My preference would be the DSD. Wonderful detail, and coloring, and very durable.

Esse quam videri

SOCOM304

I really like the DSD's personally. Unmatched realism. The birds really lock in on them. The Deceptions would be my second choice.

Greg Massey

This is kind of funny .. i have used Avian X decoys for years and decided this year to use a carry lite peeping Tom and killed 2 - 3 1/2 year old gobblers off of the peeping Tom... So it don't really matter ... buy what you want and use what you want in my opinion....

Clydetaylor1

I've had good luck with the avain x decoys. My 1/4 strut Jake has some pellet holes in it , then the tube in the middle came loose. Glued it back. Won't  hold air but still works.
Has been beat on by quiet a few Tom's and Jake's. Was just thinking about getting something that does not use air.

countryboy3006

I've never used avian x but I have ben using DSD for 4 or 5 years now and I have had way more encounters with both hens and toms since I started using them.  They can be bulky to carry and I probably wouldn't use them if I did a lot of run and gun hunting but they work great for hunting fields.

OldSwamper

DSDs are bad to the bone; however, I have been using Avian X for several years and had good luck, but I'm not a fan of the air vent/blow up stuff personally, now that I've used them some.  I did buy the new Avian X HDR hard body jake this year and really like it.  It picked a fight on Saturday with 3 toms and lost terribly.  Notably, 2 from the winning team ultimately lost too, after me and my dad came to the jake's aid......point is, the Avian X jake hard body is good.  if buying hens, I would go with DSD or possibly the others mentioned above

WAGinVA

No contest, DSD all the way.  Another selling point for me is that they are made in the USA.