turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

TN #3 took 2 days to kill

Started by catman529, May 03, 2019, 11:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catman529

Ran into this bird yesterday afternoon with 1 hen. When she left him, I had him all fired up. But being a field bird, he stayed good and hung up until it was time to roost, then he turned and headed to the trees for the night.

Long story short, I had a couple more encounters with him today and finally had him in a field this afternoon with one hen. I had a feeling they would head my way as I was sitting between that field and the one where he went to roost last night. I found a good setup in the fence row, and sure enough his hen slowly took him right to me. She saw me at about 20 yards but I didn't even blink. She just putted off to my left while the tom came in slowly from the right. Shot him at 32 yards and had to jump up and finish him off. My gun doesn't even pattern to 40 because I missed so bad this year I went back to a more open pattern. He was at the max I will shoot my current setup.

He was the only tom I know of in that spot, although I did see a Jake earlier. I thought it might be an old bird, but it was just a good ole 2 year old gobbler. Glad to finally win the match with another frustrating field bird. Man I love to watch field birds, but they aren't the same to hunt as a gobbler in the woods. At least he gobbled 500 times in the past 24 hours, it was nice to actually hear a bird gobble more than a couple times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tomstopper

Congrats. I am currently hunting a field bird right now with 3 hens and he ain't budging. Feel your pain

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

ShootingABN!

Congratulations! Great pictures can't wait for the video!

Yoteduster

bigbird

zelmo1

RutnNStrutn

Congrats on your gobbler!! Field birds can be very frustrating, but it's very rewarding when you get them!! :fud: :turkey:

Ozarks Hillbilly

Congrats

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

idratherb

You da man Catman! I thoroughly enjoy your vids!

FLGobstopper

Yep can't wait to watch the video. Congrats Catman!

appalachianstruttstopper

Regardless of a 2 year old, this will be one of those birds you'll never forget. When you get a little older yourself, there will be birds you have totally forgot the details on, but not one you fool with for 2 days. I had a bird once I messed with for 5 days straight and finally sealed the deal on him straight off the roost of the sixth day. I remember thinking that my bird must've been an old smart 5+ year old turkey that was so big his spurs would click together when he walked. Turned out he was a smart 3 year old bird and I wasn't disappointed in the least. Great bird!

catman529

Quote from: appalachianstruttstopper on May 04, 2019, 11:15:10 PM
Regardless of a 2 year old, this will be one of those birds you'll never forget. When you get a little older yourself, there will be birds you have totally forgot the details on, but not one you fool with for 2 days. I had a bird once I messed with for 5 days straight and finally sealed the deal on him straight off the roost of the sixth day. I remember thinking that my bird must've been an old smart 5+ year old turkey that was so big his spurs would click together when he walked. Turned out he was a smart 3 year old bird and I wasn't disappointed in the least. Great bird!
Thanks! Yea there's a few I won't forget. Also a couple of short hunts I won't forget either. As for the multiple day birds, I hunted all week a couple years ago on opening week. I spent at least half of that week fooling with a flock of field birds. Finally on Friday morning I set up in the right spot with my buddy Brandon. I shot one shortly after they hit the ground and we almost doubled. Yes it was a 2 year old. They aren't smart, they're just tough to hunt when they spend their time in big fields.

bear hunter

boomer

Congrats

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

cwb04

Congrats!  Way to get it done!