OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ran Into a Slob

Started by zelmo1, May 01, 2019, 12:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelmo1

My wife and I got set up by 0400 on opening day here in NH. 0420 a vehicle pulls in. This is public land. Only big enough for one hunter.  We see lights come across the field right at us. I flash my light and hear them speak to each other. They proceed to set up 30 yards away. I whistle, they say " what, we are hunting here". My reply was that they should get up earlier. " We ain't leaving". My wife got upset and we left. They parked so close to me that I had to back up so my wife could get in. And they blocked the gate, I hate to admit that this is what gets places posted. I don't know when it got there, but there was also a six pack ring right by the drivers side door. Strike 3. We still enjoyed our day together, but people suck sometimes.  :OGturkeyhead:

Prohunter3509

Did there vehichle have valve stems on there tires
You shoyld have checked to see if they were working properly

rifleman

Should have stayed unless you had something close to go to.  If not, stay and mess up anything good that may have happened.

Spitten and drummen

Typical in the day we live in. You hunt public you gotta go with the punches. Sad but it is what it is.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

LaLongbeard

I would not left ....and I'd have made for sure they didn't kill anything. In there small minds they probably think they won. Just like any dumb animal if you don't correct them they'll never learn. I thought the southeast had the market cornered on idiots guess they up north also
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

RutnNStrutn

That sucks Zelmo. Especially since you were trying to have a nice day with your wife. This is why I try to avoid hunting public land, though sometimes I have no choice.

zelmo1

Different story if my hunting buds were there. My wife is a sweetheart, we still had fun. I will get her a big Tom even if my dam knee blows out  :turkey2:

GobbleNut

Honestly, I have a hard time believing that real hunters would do that.  The animal-rights organizations are devious enough to tell their members to buy hunting licenses and do stuff like that to ruin the hunts of legitimate hunters.  It is an easy way for them to get around hunter harassment laws.  I am inclined to believe that is likely what happened in your case. 

Either way, I think I would have left a message on their vehicle that intimated that if it ever happened again, there would be more serious repercussions than just a note on their vehicle.   :(

bbcoach

No consideration for anyone anymore.  You probably did the right thing when you left since your wife was with you.  If you thought they had been drinking, I would have called the game warden and local police and reported them.  A ticket for DUI or hunting while intoxicated would have been justification for spoiling your wife's hunt.   

DBell

Definitely the right move leaving. Try to think of it as you weren't meant to hunt there that day. I had a similar incident happen a couple years ago deer hunting. Was in my stand 20 mins before sunrise, made it in clean. 10 mins Into legal shooting light and I hear something coming up the logging rd. It's another hunter. There's only one way into this spot so he saw my truck. He looks up at me and stands 10 yards from tree stand for about 5 mins. He then proceeds to walk In front of my stand and off to the left. Well it's access by permission only over there so he followed the border straight out and started cutting right. He was out of sight but I could hear him still cause he was basically right out in front of me about 80 yards at the edge of the cutting. Next thing I know I hear something coming from my far right. I eventually see two deer out at the edge of the cutting. I pull my gun up and look through the scope, one doe and one BAM!!! Shot rang out scared the heck outta me, 2 deer run off back where they came from and not 3 seconds later that dude was standing right where those deer were and I had my gun pointed. What an idiot. He goes back down the logging road and comes back with what looked like his dad, and they gut the deer out right there, 80 yards in front of my stand, and drag it out. I didn't even get mad, I said nice. Ended up being a small spike horn. I didn't hunt that spot the rest of the season. Shot a nice 6 pt on thanksgiving. Lesson is be the better person and good things will come!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkeytider

Quote from: rifleman on May 01, 2019, 01:06:26 PM
Should have stayed unless you had something close to go to.  If not, stay and mess up anything good that may have happened.

Yep, unless I had a place close by to move to, that`s exactly what I would`ve done. I would have ensured that there was not a turkey within a mile. At least.

Southerngobbler

I have been hunting the same public land for the last 15 years and have kept a detailed log book the entire time. In those 15 years only two other hunters thought was OK to park next to me and walk in and hunt the same turkey as me. This year it happened an additional 4 times, that's a total of 6 different hunters that have no ethical values as far as hunters go. Why did that # quadruple in one year? Who knows-probably happening in every walk of life-people just don't care about other people anymore; or what other people think about them.

guesswho

They would have found out that if there is one thing I like about as much as turkey hunting, it's pushing idiots buttons.  And I'd have pushed everyone until they blew a gasket or left.   I get bored easy and I can come up with some pretty creative ways to mess with someone when I get bored.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

dublelung

Quote from: guesswho on May 01, 2019, 05:12:43 PM
They would have found out that if there is one thing I like about as much as turkey hunting, it's pushing idiots buttons.  And I'd have pushed everyone until they blew a gasket or left.   I get bored easy and I can come up with some pretty creative ways to mess with someone when I get bored.

;D Finally! Someone as like minded as me when it comes to dealing with those kind of idiots. I've even climbed down from my own treestand and walked halfway (30 yards) toward another late arriving bow hunter to take a dump. We was doing ok until I started grunting and making sounds like I was birthing a baby. Yelled and told me I was a sick sob as he left the woods.  :wave:

zelmo1

I have a couple ringers coming in Sunday and hunting three days, we will kill 3-6 Toms out of that piece and laugh all the way to the check station  :funnyturkey: