OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

ETHICS QUESTON

Started by wcgobbler, May 02, 2011, 04:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wcgobbler

I've been hunting a tough, smart, old, bird for weeks & killed him yesterday, Sunday 5/1/11 on the last day of season.  I left my truck about 2:00 yesterday afternoon & started down a big hill, got to the bottom of the hill & thought I heard a turkey drumming.  I stopped & sure enough, it was a turkey.  I froze.  To make a long story short, he was in a side road that turned off the road I was on & was behind a big cluster of vines.  I was able, after 10 minutes to find him as he stepped out from behind the vine cluster about 40 yards away, and killed him.   I have hunted him hard for weeks & finally got him.  My buddies are calling me a bush-whacker.

Am I?

tiggere

whatever it takes...right now I would shoot a bearded hen if that helps... :cowboy:

CASH

It's called Turkey Hunting.  Tell your friends to buzz off.  They're just jealous.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

LX_Trkyhntr

You are a turkey hunter.  If that means accepting a gift when presented with it so be it!  I can tell you that when I am in the woods and have tags in my pocket, if opportunity knocks I open the door!! :you_rock: :you_rock: :you_rock:

Did you get excited when you heard the bird gobbling?  Did you get excited when you thought you might get a shot?  Did you get excited when you took the shot?  Did you get excited when he was flopping?

Who cares whan ANYONE else thinks?  You did got your turkey legally so tell you friends to get a life!

Good job!
Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

stinkpickle

I would've done the same thing.

hobbes

I don't know if I'd call that bushwhacking, but instead capitalizing on the opportunity that was presented.  Killing them that way is not as fun as one strutting and gobbling into the call, but there is nothing wrong with it.

How many guys do you know that would pick up on the sound of a bird drumming while walking through the woods or down a logging road for that matter.  Most wouldn't........many of them can't pick it out when a bird is strutting up to their calling.  You made the best of an opportunity............if your fine with it..........enjoy your good fortune.

schuylkillspur

I love most of all to call them in Strutting and showing off. But if the good Lord gives me the opportunity to take one. by chance I will.
You hav nothing w/o FAITH

ouachitamtnman

Call them Kentucky Fried Chicken eaters cause that's what they'll be eatin besides turkey breast.  Sounds like a hunter aware of his surroundings or you'd have flushed him for sure.
Defending God is like defending a lion...he don't need your help...just open the cage

Basser69

No your not a bushwacker. Tell the Loard thanks for a great gift!

lohaus

I'm not sure about the whole ethics part.  If it was legal, then it's all good.  You take them as you get them.  I would just say 'I wonder how many turkeys you walked by because you didn't hear them drumming'.  Anyway, good job.

jshively

Sometimes the best call is no call at all.  Those old birds are tricky and it sounds like you made the best of a good opportunity.  I was thinking the other day while driving to the woods about all the what if's I have had in the past turkey hunting.  Well - you don't have to worry about that about this bird.  Sounds like your friends are a little jealous.  You will forget about those remarks, but that bird stepping out will be with you forever.  Congrats!!

Jay

If they are off roost, they are legal and ethical as far as I'm concerned.

turkey slayer

Quote from: hobbes on May 02, 2011, 04:50:46 PM
I don't know if I'd call that bushwhacking, but instead capitalizing on the opportunity that was presented.  Killing them that way is not as fun as one strutting and gobbling into the call, but there is nothing wrong with it.

How many guys do you know that would pick up on the sound of a bird drumming while walking through the woods or down a logging road for that matter.  Most wouldn't........many of them can't pick it out when a bird is strutting up to their calling.  You made the best of an opportunity............if your fine with it..........enjoy your good fortune.
I agree 100% congrats on the bird

wcgobbler

Thanks for the votes of confidence.  They really had me second-guessing myself for while there.

Hognutz

I'd have shot that bird everytime I had the chance. Without fail...Mike :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.