Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Field Of View or Magnification Binoculars?

Started by Sir-diealot, April 29, 2019, 09:27:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

I am looking at a set of binoculars on Bass Pro Shops and 2 pair are

Magnification 8X
Objective Size (mm) 42mm
Size 6.1" x 5.1" ; 24.9 oz.
Eye Relief 24.1mm
FOV 330'
Close Focus Distance 9.8'

and second pair would be

Magnification 10X
Objective Size (mm) 42mm
Size 6" x 5.1" ; 24.7 oz.
Eye Relief 17.4mm
FOV 299'
Close Focus Distance 9.8'

Which is better for turkey hunting field of view or magnification? I will mostly be sitting in the blind but when my back allows I will try to do some run and gunning in a mix of trees but mostly fields. Thank you for any help.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Rapscallion Vermilion

I'd recommend the 8X. Along with the wider field of view, you'll likely see a steadier image. The higher the magnification, the harder to hand hold for a steady image. Also, note the eye relief is greater on the 8x.  Important if you wear glasses.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on April 29, 2019, 09:56:26 AM
I'd recommend the 8X. Along with the wider field of view, you'll likely see a steadier image. The higher the magnification, the harder to hand hold for a steady image. Also, note the eye relief is greater on the 8x.  Important if you wear glasses.
Thank you for pointing that out about the glasses, I am blind as a bat at any distance without them.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

turkeymanjim

I agree 100 %

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Quote from: turkeymanjim on April 29, 2019, 11:05:55 AM
I agree 100 %

Thank you for reinforcing that.

John Koenig:

TauntoHawk

Yeah I don't think there is any reason to go 10x for turkey hunting, being able to hold them steady contributes a lot to how clear or crisp an image appears. I have a nice set of 8x42's they are great for detailed glass and field work but even those feel like overkill at times once im in the timber. I've been thinking about adding a compact set for hunting the timber to trim down some weight, I think a 6 or 7x in a 28-32mm lens would be ideal for most of the turkey hunting I do where I often don't encounter many "views" further then 150yds.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

turkeymanjim

In my turkey vest I use 7×35 compact bino. Smaller and lighter is best for me for running &  gunnning. No there not 8power or 10 power but I will trade that off for being small, light weight and fits in vest well.

Gooserbat

My next "Turky Glass" will be a pair of 8X32.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Sir-diealot

John Koenig:

Yoder409

I use a pair of Nikon 10x42 for everything............turkeys.......bowhunting........every day lookin' at stuff............

I'd have another pair just like 'em if these ever broke.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Yoder409 on April 29, 2019, 05:45:25 PM
I use a pair of Nikon 10x42 for everything............turkeys.......bowhunting........every day lookin' at stuff............

I'd have another pair just like 'em if these ever broke.
Thanks bud, I value your input.

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: REBELYELL on April 29, 2019, 10:20:44 PM
For a few bucks you can step up to the Monarch 5, which has better glass.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-8x42-Monarch-5-Binoculars-7576-Fogproof-Waterproof-Includes-Carry-Case/263792164723?epid=140907835&hash=item3d6b3cff73:g:PUAAAOSw8RxbOm8f
Thanks for pointing that out. I would not buy them on ebay but did find them on BPS, Cabella's and Amazon with Amazon having the best deal.

John Koenig:

bbcoach

Checkout Natchez Shooters Supply.  They have Nikon Monarchs on sale and they have Free shipping today on anything over $99.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: bbcoach on April 30, 2019, 01:43:09 PM
Checkout Natchez Shooters Supply.  They have Nikon Monarchs on sale and they have Free shipping today on anything over $99.
Thanks, will do for sure.

John Koenig: