turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Which choke for TSS?

Started by Chris O, April 27, 2019, 01:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris O

I am thinking of trying some TSS. I shoot a Remington 870 20ga. Which brand and choke size do you guys like?  I currently shoot a kicks choke would this be ok to shoot tss out of I believe it's.565, also what shot size do you prefer in tss? Thanks

Gooserbat

Stick with no9 shot.  Try the choke you have.  The Fed loads tend to do the best with the tight constrictions (.555) while Apex and most handloads do better with a little more open.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

chatterbox

I shoot Apex 3-1 5/8-9's out of my Mossberg 500 20 gauge with a SumToy .562-5 and get 355-357 in the 10" at 40 yards.
It's a very even and nasty pattern.

Spitten and drummen

I had william build me a .569. Its perfect for me. A nice even pattern with a slightly hot core. Was shooting a IC .555 and it was too hot of a core to my liking. Pellet count was awesome in the 10 but the 20 had some holes in it.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Chris O

Thanks for the input guys, it does seem that the #9 shot is the most popular.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Chris O on April 27, 2019, 07:32:41 PM
Thanks for the input guys, it does seem that the #9 shot is the most popular.

9's are without a doubt the way to go. More shot in the shell , means better patterns and the retained energy in TSS makes them hit like a dump truck. Very very leathal.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Wigsplitter

darron

I'd try a Carlson 575 or tightwad 570

shatcher

Killed two in TN this weekend with a 20 gauge 870 and William's choke with my handloaded tss 9s. Gonna be hard to go back to a 12.

Gobble!

Indian Creek and #9s are a hard to beat combination.

3bailey3

just call William and tell him how dead you want them, you will enjoy the conversation!!

yelpy

8's or 9's will work. I have shot 9 1/2's also. They all work great and kill em dead. 9's will give you a better pellet count than the 8's.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

LRD

#9s is what you want. I shoot a 575 Carlson's out of mine, and my son shoots a 570 Tightwad out of his. Both shoot great.

Jbird22

I shoot an 870 w/26" bbl and .575 Carlsons. Can't go wrong with that choke and 1-5/8 oz. of 9's.

Ozark870Hunter

Shot a bird last week with a 20ga 870 youth using a Carlson's .555 and TSS #9's. Patern's not to tight at 20  and still plenty lethal at 40. Was very impressed.
United Front Armory
Custom built firearms
Top quality cerakote applications
https://www.facebook.com/UnitedFrontArmory/