OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Semi-Auto Turkey Gun

Started by gatrapper, April 26, 2019, 12:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rzrbac

Gobbler428

Zilla

wchadw

I have an SBE3 24 inch steady grip. It's nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fallhnt

11-87

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Boykin Hollow

Benelli SBE 1 or 2 in the 12 gauge,  bnelli M-2 in the 20 gauge is what I shoot

DrDirtNap

Quote from: ncwoodsman on April 26, 2019, 12:59:55 PM
Quote from: guesswho on April 26, 2019, 12:58:13 PM
Really like my Weatherby SA459

x2 20 gauge Weatherby SA459

X3 20 gauge Weatherby SA459

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nyhunter

Love my SBE2.     Most importantly put them all in your hands and shoulder them, you'll know right away what one you like. there's lots of good options out there.

Gamblinman

Sure like my 11-87 Super Magnum. Keep it clean, lightly oiled, and a new gas O-ring and they give years of dependable service.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Marc

Coming from a bit different perspective here...

I am a wing and clay shooter...  I own and shoot pump actions, semi-auto (in both gas operated and inertia-operated), as well as O/U's.

For waterfowl, I primarily shoot a semi-auto gas operated gun.  Three shots and reduced recoil are the attractive qualities for me.

I have shot and owned Benelli shot-guns, and no doubt they are more reliable weapons that are easier to clean, but they also come with more recoil (which is not really an issue with a single shot being fired at a turkey).

For quail and pheasant, I also have gas-operated guns...  The recoil is not the issue here, it is simply what I own and shoot in a 20 gauge...  For quail especially, the third shot and being able to quickly load and shoot is the primary appeal.

For dove, pigeons, and clays, I like my O/U's...  Most reliable guns I own, easy to pick up the casings, and for whatever reason I plain shoot them better...   Although all of these activities involve high volume shooting, I also tend to shoot lighter recoiling loads, so recoil is not an issue.

My current turkey gun is my primary water-fowling gun (Beretta Urika-2, 12 gauge with a 28" barrel).  Not optimal for turkey hunting, but I have had no issues (outside of the weight of the gun).

Were I to purchase a new gun today, it would be the Browning Maxus...  Once again, primarily a waterfowl/wing-shooting gun doubling as a turkey gun...  I really have little desire for a dedicated turkey gun, as it is a small percentage of the actual shooting I do.  It is a light recoiling gun, from those I know it is reliable, it is easier to clean than my Beretta, and having shot a couple, I shoot them well (for wing and targets).

Were I to purchase a dedicated turkey gun, it would probably be an 870 Wingmaster with a 26" barrel.  Lighter in weight, easier to clean and more reliable than any semi-auto, and less expensive, and it points well...  Purchasing an extended magazine tube, it would also serve as a great home-defense weapon during the off-season.

Were I to purchase a dedicated semi-auto turkey gun, I would probably go with the Benelli line (my preference would probably be an M-2 or SBE-2) or the Franchi or Stoeger lines if cost were an issue; due to the longer action of these guns I would probably opt for a 24" barrel.  Recoil is not an issue with turkey hunting (unless you are hunting New Zealand and shooting 20 turkeys a day), and the inertia guns are more reliable and easier to clean than are gas-operated guns.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

bear hunter

mudhen

Maxus Wicked Wing, newer version without Duratouch + the lengthened forcing cone...
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

nativeks

Beretta 390.

Dunns has a sale going on the Benelli Montefeltro for $700. If it was a 20 I wouldve bought 2.

Cut N Run

Love my SBE II.  Never had a shell fail to eject or fire. 

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

The Southpaw

I have a Versa Max turkey model that is alright, but I plan on selling it and getting a Franchi Affinity 3 Compact.