OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

MO public land bird down!!!

Started by Ozark870Hunter, April 24, 2019, 05:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ozark870Hunter

Been a tough start to the Missouri season. Hunted public near home 5 of the first 9 days before I had to work at 11am with no success. Birds have been showing little interest to calls, and not gobbling much after fly down.
Left last night for my 5 day vacation to my favorite southern MO reservoir to hunt public corps land around the lake with a buddy. Didn't even check in to the resort or dock the boat last night, but instead parked and slept near the spot we wanted to hunt in the a.m.
Didn't hear a thing at dawn, so I decided to make a move around 9am.
Drove a few ridges over, hopped out, quietly sneaked inside the woods and hit the Crystal Mistress. Boom! Bird fired off down the ridge below me.
Moved in another 40 yrds and set up. A little soft talk and leaf rustling and he appeared a few minutes later to my left at 30 yrds. He saw me turn my head as he stepped into my peripheral and turned to leave. Made some quick cuts on the mouth call to stop him, a quick swing of the gun to the left followed by a snap shot and the TSS #9 dropped him. Really nice heavy bird. 10"beard. 1 3/8ths spurs.
First bird with my new 870 20ga, and I managed to find some morels on the way out. Not a bad start to the vacation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
United Front Armory
Custom built firearms
Top quality cerakote applications
https://www.facebook.com/UnitedFrontArmory/

JMalin

I've gotta get up to Missouri!  Congrats

Ozarks Hillbilly

Congrats that's a good'un there!

Yoteduster

Awesome, congrats on a nice b bird

oakraidia

Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

REBELYELL

Congrats on a good bird. Love that little 20, pretty sweet gun.

boomer

Congrats

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

tomstopper

Nice. Congrats

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

Nice bird! Im heading to northeast Missouri may 1st. Hope I can find one up there willing to play.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Sir-diealot

Congratulations and some great looking shrooms to go with it.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Mtd69

bear hunter

nice bird and some tasty morrels to go with it.

ILHUNTER

Congrats, great bird and some tasty morels to boot.

kjnengr

Good thing you shot that turkey.  He was about to eat all of those mushrooms on the bed of your truck.

Nice job, man.  :happy0064: