turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Shoot and release..

Started by 1iagobblergetter, April 23, 2019, 04:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1iagobblergetter

Anyone else's kid practice shoot and release? My son has a heck of a time.Lol..Ended the season last year with a miss and i just called a great big tom inside 20yds in a open field  and he whiffed again. This is all with much patterning and practice. I bought him a Ff2 and youth 20 gauge. Were still having fun and I know it's hunting,but dang that's hard seeing them fly off..Lol..

uk.turkey.hunter

I think those misses are great teaching moments. The hole hunt is fun and great times with the kids. The same thing happened during deer season with my son. Missed a doe a 50 yards.

Still great memories though (great teaching moments too).

1iagobblergetter

I have taught him its not always getting something that makes a hunt and it's just the icing on the cake...He loves going and tries hard and we have a good time regardless...Not to say I don't like to see them instead of him flop though. Lol..

Dtrkyman

Next practice session give him the gun empty and let him think you loaded it,  see his reaction to the click!

After that do it to him randomly and see if it helps.

Everyone misses but hopefully you can help him keep it from becoming a habit.

Good friend of mine misses often, I did that to him and when he pulls the trigger on that empty round he about jumped out of his boots!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Dtrkyman on April 23, 2019, 05:31:06 PM
Next practice session give him the gun empty and let him think you loaded it,  see his reaction to the click!

Good friend of mine misses often, I did that to him and when he pulls the trigger on that empty round he about jumped out of his boots!

Thanks I'll try that...Im also going to have him practice more sitting,standing,etc. We do alot of shooting of the bench which doesn't probably do much for Turkey related scenarios other than patternining...

roberthyman14

Have him shoot the same way he hunts.  Might not be getting his face on the stock.  I flat missed a bird and my buddy watched the whole thing. Said my face was never down all the way.  I smoked him on second shot when I popped up to my knees.  But the first time I was cramped up and wasn't holding good.  Felt fine from my end

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

guesswho

Some of my favorite turkey hunting memories involved warning shots.  My Dad was one of the funniest people ever to watch fire a warning shot.   I learned some new words as a kid when he would make it sporting by firing a couple warning shots.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Marc

This is a great trick!

Also having him practice using lighter (and cheaper) target loads.  Find the lightest recoiling shell available to have him practice with...

Make some dummy loads, and alternate real loads with the dummy loads so that he does not know which is which.  Once he becomes aware of his own flinching, he has a much better chance of self-correction.

Also practicing with an empty gun (pointed in a safe direction) at the house can be very beneficial...

This is all assuming that he is wearing hearing protection, and has a gun that fits....

Great job on getting a child out; I am looking foward to taking my own daughter next year for a chance at her own bird.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on April 23, 2019, 06:23:33 PM

Thanks I'll try that...Im also going to have him practice more sitting,standing,etc. We do alot of shooting of the bench which doesn't probably do much for Turkey related scenarios other than patternining...

Works well, helped me when I first started using firearms in my 20's, you don't even realize you do it until then. Also found out I did it when shooting my pastors black powder revolver.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

zelmo1

My buddies daughter had a lot of misses one year. The next year I took her to the range and watched her, she was not keeping her head on the stock, a common mistake. Soevery day for a week before the season I would stop by their house with one shell and we would go shoot once. She bagged a big Tom opening day that year. Quality not quantity

Spitten and drummen

Lol. Great memories right there.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

1iagobblergetter

:popcorn:
Quote from: Gooserbat on April 23, 2019, 10:24:46 PM
Just hope it's not T$$
Lol...Nope Its fed hvys...We practice with BB guns for months also. I think part of his problem is he's right handed left eye dominant. Tried getting him to shoot left handed,but he wasn't or won't have it. Also he's my only Son(14yrs old) and I have an arsenal of right handed guns to hand down,but he could be like me and just look at most of them and could buy and use a couple left handed if he would...Lol...
We have alot of fun know matter what...We sat in the same place and called a hen right up to us only a hour later. When I'm hunting with him that kid can sit like a rockstar. He said after the shot he is never giving up so regardless I've taught him well imo...

Tunaguy

Ahhh much like my catch and release technique of netting keeper fluke! Get em' in the net and boom de-hook and release all in one move! It's a gift.
" I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member." Groucho Marx

limbhanger777

called in 2 birds last year in the youth season and watched both fly away after a miss. I think next time I will set the kids up with a much less constricted choke!