OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Midday bird I killed yesterday...4/22

Started by Ditchbank, April 23, 2019, 12:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ditchbank

I set my alarm clock for 5:15am last night and woke up to the sun up. I had set my alarm for 5:15pm. I am off work today and tomorrow and wanted to make a day of it. Well I screwed that up by not checking the AM and PM on my phone alarm.

Finally about 10:30 I said I'm gonna try some midday tactics, basically running and gunning.
I got to my spot that I have seen birds during midday in a small hidden field. I set up a lay down hen decoy and Jake decoy and a feeder hen. I sat and called there on and off from 11:30-1:30. Nothing there so I figured if a bird was there he wasn't coming.

I packed up my gear and headed to another spot on the farm about 1/2mile away. This time in the woods between two big fields and pasture they have been seen strutting in.

I was there and set up by 2pm I called and nothing. I waited about 15 min and called again and bam!! I heard him gobble. I called again after about 5min and he didn't respond but I figured he was coming. Then suddenly I hear footsteps to my right and he is walking towards decoys at 50yds and closing the distance fast. He saw my jake decoy and you should have seen the colors this boy displayed in the sunlight shinning through the Forrest canopy. He walked right through a good opening and I drilled him at 20yrds. I absolutely love killing them in the woods over the field. It was a quick hunt at that spot but a very very memorable one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

eddie234

Very nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yoteduster

Divenut2

Love fishing and Deer hunting (Shotgun, Muzzleloader & Pistol). Recently became addicted to Turkey Hunting.

idratherb

tomstopper

Congrats

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

shoer2

yelpy

Cant beat that. Turned out to a great day for you. Congrats!

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

zelmo1

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Tunaguy

" I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member." Groucho Marx