OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

2 more poachers down

Started by nativeks, April 22, 2019, 09:17:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nativeks

Caught 2 guys poaching the double bearded long beard I had been after. Warden confiscated the bird and they both got tickets. Since they confessed the allowed them to keep their guns. Every year since we moved to our property we catch people road hunting and poaching. The wife doesnt even want me to take our son hunting on our own land. Ive got a call into the county commissioner to see what the process is for vacating a large portion of the dead end road that runs along my property.

Ctrize

Good job now get a gobbler.

LaLongbeard

The Warden should have kept there guns. People that trespass or poach don't think like most normal people. To a normal person getting caught the Gobbler taken ticket and the threat of guns being taken would be more than enough to put an end to the activities. To a poacher they think "we messed up an got caught, but at least we kept our guns, just have to be more careful in the future".
I'd bet if there was anyway to check these two will be caught again with some kind of violation probably been caught before. I've delt with this kind a lot. A lot of them are proud and brag about spotlighting deer or poaching of some kind. It's in there DNA, jail time and taking there guns would be the only way to stop them.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Divenut2

Poaching is one of those Zero Tolerance things for me. Would be nice if the SOBs that do that stuff got the book thrown at them every time IMO.
Love fishing and Deer hunting (Shotgun, Muzzleloader & Pistol). Recently became addicted to Turkey Hunting.

bigbird

my buddy did that in Indiana. Was pretty simple to get done. He has to maintain the road and they allowed him to put a gate across the road

Old Gobbler

Haven't they heard of "felony tresspassing with a firearm " in your state

In Florida they would have arrested them ,confiscated the guns and whatever vehicle they used in the process of the felony ...truck-boat

At a minimum they should have hunting PRIVILEGES taken away for a specific time frame

You need to show to that court date

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Marc

I am a member of a duck club, and we have poaching issues as well...

It has been my intention that if we ever caught anyone, that we would civilly sue them.  As members we spend considerable time and money managing habitat (on and off-season).

I would love to try suing any poachers civilly for the money we spend on management costs...  Seems to me, that if just one or two clubs in our area could win such a suit it would greatly decrease poaching.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

zelmo1

They need to be tougher on them. Glad you caught them

nativeks

Heck they are still hunting. Saw them on the way home from church yesterday. Warden just stopped since he saw me mowing. They issued tickets not mandatory appearance citations. He also said they wanted to keep the bird but they were not going to allow that and reward them. He said he followed another truck yesterday he knew was road hunting just to try and dissuade them. This is what happens when there are low numbers of birds everywhere so folks cant leave without killing something.

Delmar ODonnell

Pretty disgraceful that they were not handed down stricter punishments. As someone who loves the outdoors, I loathe poachers. They are the most selfish, immature people I can think of. They take a perfect sport and pervert it to fulfill their own selfish desires. Kill at all costs, even to the detriment of your own character. True hunters have the utmost respect for their like-minded peers and the game they pursue, and good hunters have confidence to hunt within the rules of law, deriving satisfaction from an honorable pursuit regardless if something was killed or not.

Happy

Quote from: Delmar ODonnell on April 22, 2019, 12:27:19 PM
Pretty disgraceful that they were not handed down stricter punishments. As someone who loves the outdoors, I loathe poachers. They are the most selfish, immature people I can think of. They take a perfect sport and pervert it to fulfill their own selfish desires. Kill at all costs, even to the detriment of your own character. True hunters have the utmost respect for their like-minded peers and the game they pursue, and good hunters have confidence to hunt within the rules of law, deriving satisfaction from an honorable pursuit regardless if something was killed or not.
I like that. Well said.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

fallhnt

Good job

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Sir-diealot

I agree with everything said here with one POSSIBLE exception and that is the trespassing. The reason I say this is about 4 years ago I was hunting a piece of property that belonged to my landlords kids, the one son just deer hunts and had always had a stand overlooking a field and I had set up a blind for turkey hunting about 5-10 yards from that stand overlooking that field and into the woods. A guy came up about mid morning and yelled "Hello in the blind" I said "Hold on let me clear the chamber and I will be right out." So I get out and start talking to him and it turns out he keeps watch over several of the adjoining properties as well as my landlords kids property. He informs me I am about 20 yards over the line, I explain to him that I thought it was my landlords kids property because of the stand and he is understanding about that. I ask him if I can finish out my hunt and then get my stuff off the property or if he would want me to leave now and he allows me to stay til the hunt is over.

So mistakes do happen but by the way you are describing this is blatant disrespect and they I assume had no permission to hunt any joining property line where such a mistake could have happened then you are right, they should have lost their firearms as well.

Oh I have gone over the bottom half of the property line where I turkey hunt with the landlords kids since then and will go over the top half of the property line with them before deer season. (I do not turkey hunt the top half, as that is where the son that turkey hunts does his hunting)
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

a_jabbo

Glad you were able to catch them and take action.

tomstopper

Glad they got them. Too bad the penalty isn't stiffer

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk