OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Missouri week 2

Started by coyotetrpr, May 02, 2011, 10:55:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyotetrpr

Well, in week 1 of the season I felt like I should write a book on hunting. In week 2 I would like to have a turkey hunting book to read, because the birds whipped me. In week 1 they gobbled good and worked well. Now in week 2 they won't gobble hardly at all and want to come to calls even less. I shall now adapt my tactics to compensate and try to make week 3 as good as I can.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

Struttin Spurs

I am having the same problem. Missouri's first weekend I hunted during all the heavy rain. I basically hunted during a  flood. I got lucky and killed a bird but it was terrible turkey hunting weather. Weekend two was a better weekend weather wise, but for some reason the birds were not gobbling and not responding to calls. I havent seen near the birds I have the last few seasons. If things don't turn around in weekend number 3, then it will be safe to say that this will be the worst turkey season I have ever experienced in Missouri.

stinkpickle

Y'all got me worried.  I got this coming weekend to fill both Missouri tags.  We'll see...   :-\

Ky strutt n bust n

im right over the river from yall and are experiencing the same horrible luck. this is not a excellent season at all. the weather it seems like is not in favor of turkey hunters. stay at em boys!

Fullfan

Hunted SE/ Mo for the first 9 days. Filled both tags, in the rain,tornados,hail and wind did I mention rain, did i mention rain.....  They were very hushed mouth in the Mark twain............
Don't gobble at me...

stinkpickle

What part of the state have y'all been hunting in?  I'll be up in the NE just south of Kirksville.  If they're behaving like they have been in Iowa, they'll only respond when the weather is crappy.   :D

Fullfan

Shannon and Texas Counties. In the se part of the state..
Don't gobble at me...

CSAW

No worries Pickle.  You will do just fine. ;)

stinkpickle

Quote from: CSAW on May 03, 2011, 09:41:37 AM

Ahhh...you just jinxed me!   :P

jakesdad

Im in the NE part of the state(palmyra)been so-so here,until yesterday.Did not hear or see one single bird yesterday or today.had all i could handle today and rolled in around 10.I was lucky enough to kill a bird opening morning though.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

CSAW

Quote from: stinkpickle on May 03, 2011, 11:10:11 AM
Quote from: CSAW on May 03, 2011, 09:41:37 AM

Ahhh...you just jinxed me!   :P

It's all good dog!  It's gonna be a great weekend for turkey executions!   :turkey2:

coyotetrpr

Quote from: stinkpickle on May 02, 2011, 08:41:14 PM
What part of the state have y'all been hunting in?  I'll be up in the NE just south of Kirksville.  If they're behaving like they have been in Iowa, they'll only respond when the weather is crappy.   :D
That is exactly what I have been experiencing in west central M.O. Cloudy,rainy days they gobble,sunny days I can't even find one in a field let alone hear a gobble.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

Struttin Spurs

Quote from: coyotetrpr on May 03, 2011, 06:04:43 PM
Quote from: stinkpickle on May 02, 2011, 08:41:14 PM
That is exactly what I have been experiencing in west central M.O. Cloudy,rainy days they gobble,sunny days I can't even find one in a field let alone hear a gobble.

Same thing here in SW Missouri. Very frustrating. Hopefully this weekend turns things around for all of us!

JDogg

The Youth season and the first week where great for me.  lots of birds, lots of gobbling.  I hunted some public land that was really low on turks the past few years, but the numbers seem to be getting back up.  Seen gobs of hens, more than ever really.   There used to be gobblers everywhere on this place, but some serious flooding 2 years in a row nearly wiped them out.   Last week I had a huge boss gobbler right in my lap but there was too much stuff between us.  Somehow I managed to get him and his 4 hens to come  220yds down a field, just to have no shot!!!  ARRRRR I hate it when that happens.   Next day no more gobbling from any birds once they got off the roost.  Not really sure what the deal was, but I have run out of time to hunt.

JDogg

Any of you guys in Texas County hunt Gist?