turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

The "Turtle Princes" Scored!!!

Started by Singlebarrel, May 02, 2011, 10:03:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Singlebarrel

You may remember my story about a couple of weeks about the turkey hunt with my sweet little girl, Molly. 

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,7355.msg86438.html#msg86438

We were seconds away from closing the deal on a big gobbler, but the hunt was totally preempted when we spotted a turtle.  Instead of killing a turkey, we ended up making one of those "Daddy - Daughter" memories that will last a lifetime.

We got back into the woods Saturday.  After totally striking out at the first farm, we got in the truck and drove to another spot.  Molly had actually fallen asleep during the ride, but had started to wake up by the time I parked the truck & got out to call.  I let out a few loud yelps....  nothing.  A few more....  GOBBLE!  A few more for good measure...  GOBBLE  GOBBLE!  I looked at Molly, still sitting in the truck, to see if she had heard it.  No doubt - she was wide awake now and grinning ear to ear.

I ran back to the truck and got the gun loaded.  We only made it about 50 yards up the hill before I spotted his head.  He was headed straight for us, on a mission to find the mouthy hen.  I ducked behind some tall weeds and got Molly situated in my lap.  We had just got the gun up when I saw the head again.  This time I noticed it was 2 birds, instead of just 1.  They were at 50 yards and closing fast.  Molly didn't have a face-mask on so I told her to keep her head down and just look at the ground until it was time to shoot.  Finally, they went behind a tree at about 25 yards.  I told her "ok now baby, we've got to shoot him now!"  She got him!!!

Complete with the latest in turkey hunting designer attire - pink Barbie boots!   ;D ;D ;D

This was definitely one hunt that I will always remember.  This was actually Molly's 3rd turkey, but her other 2 have come way too easy - always on the first or 2nd hunt of the year.  This year, we had to really work for her bird, but she hang in there like a trooper.  It was SOOOOO rewarding to see her get the bird that she wanted so bad.  After the hunt, she agreed with me that the one's you have to work for always mean a little more!

Reloader

Preacher

Them some "BAD" hunting shoes she has on.   CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Romans 8:37

bowhunter84

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

Basser69

Congrats on a nice bird! Oh yea, love those pink boots!

Hognutz

Congrats to Molly. Well done, girl.. Awesome bird.. :you_rock:
Don't let Camoman see those shoes. This could start a new trend for him and his Posse. Do they have the 5 toed version??  Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

FANMAN

coyotetrpr

That is a wonderful story to hear. Love the life lesson at the end. Congrats to the both of you,(especially her) :groupwave: :anim_65:
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

turkey slayer

trkycaller

redarrow

Memories for a lifetime. Praise God. Congrats to you both.

barry

Way to go Molly!!!
Wonder if the make those boots in mens 10 EE???

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff