OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Father/6 yr old Son Double in Ohio on Saturday.

Started by ohio76, May 02, 2011, 09:54:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohio76

Things have been rough this season trying to get on birds, but it all came together Saturday. Started out early in the morning and didn't hear any on the roost, drove to a different spot and still no sign of any turkeys. So I decided we would go back to the house and relax till about 10:00 and go back to the second place we went that morning.
Got to the farm and went to the area I wanted to setup at and as a crow was flying over I heard one gobble down in the hollow,game on. I hurried up and got everything setup and then started calling to him,he answered everytime I would call. The last time I called to him he was about 75yds away so I quit calling because I knew he was coming quick, I was looking down towards the hollow where I was expecting him to come from,then out of the corner of my eye, coming from where I wasn't expecting them to be, I see him sprinting to the decoys. I tell Gavin to get ready. He sprints in and just hammers my decoy,after the gobbler finally settles down Gavin puts the hammer to him, I have my gun laying on my lap and just couldn't pass up the opportunity for a double and hammer the jake that was in tow with him. Then the tears and hugs commenced. I think I about squeezed him to death when I was hugging him.
This was the best day I have ever spent in the woods in my 20 some years of hunting.
Gavin used his H&R 410 with 3" Fiocchi #8s and dropped his bird in it's tracks,shot was only 15yds and  I used an H&R 20 with Federal HW #7s  and nailed my bird at about 35yds.
Gavin's bird weighted 20lbs,9 1/2" beard, and 7/8 spurs.

[attachment deleted by admin]

neal

Awesome!! Shoot I woulda shot the decoy just to have a double with my kids first bird!!!

:anim_65:
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

Basser69

Thats fantastic!!! Congrats on 2 great birds! :you_rock:

bowhunter84

thats awesome! congrats on the birds and the memories  :icon_thumright:

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

Hognutz

Congrats on the double with your son..Priceless..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

FANMAN

Spring_Woods

Congrats on the double! What county do you hunt?
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

ohio76

Thanks for the comments, I live in Jackson County.

ouachitamtnman

Defending God is like defending a lion...he don't need your help...just open the cage

barry

davisd9

Congratulations!  That bird is about as big as he is, lol.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

trkycaller

OntarioGobbler

I've heard the dogwoods are finally in bloom down there. My buddy got his and says the hutning is finally getting good. I was there 1 st week and it was a tough hunt for sure. Way to go to you both!!!!