OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Personal rules for turkey hunting?

Started by Marc, April 19, 2019, 01:08:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccleroy

Quote from: guesswho on April 19, 2019, 01:35:25 PM
No blinds or decoys, even bow hunting.     As long as a bird is closing the gap I hold off on shooting him. If that means shooting him at 40 yards or standing on my feet, I'm good either way.   I won't shoot a gift turkey, by that I mean one I feel I didn't earn, example walk up on one.   I won't shoot one on the fly unless it's a follow up shot.   No jakes, or doubles.  Won't even double with another hunter.  One hunt one bird.  Calling is a must.   If I'm hunting with somebody I won't shoot one until they do, even if I'm the guest.   I have watched turkeys walk off because of this.   Basically a bird has to trip my trigger before I pull the trigger.

Hunting with kids, they're in charge of al the executive decisions and can override me at any time.

Solid post sir.

troutfisher13111

No blinds or decoys, even bow hunting.     As long as a bird is closing the gap I hold off on shooting him. If that means shooting him at 40 yards or standing on my feet, I'm good either way.   I won't shoot a gift turkey, by that I mean one I feel I didn't earn, example walk up on one.   I won't shoot one on the fly unless it's a follow up shot.   No jakes, or doubles.  Won't even double with another hunter.  One hunt one bird.  Calling is a must.   If I'm hunting with somebody I won't shoot one until they do, even if I'm the guest.   I have watched turkeys walk off because of this.   Basically a bird has to trip my trigger before I pull the trigger.

Hunting with kids, they're in charge of al the executive decisions and can override me at any time.
We think alike, although I will add that I don't look down on anyone else's hunting methods as long as they're legal. I especially like your last rule as when I take out a youth I am all about whatever they want to do.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

jryser

Quote from: Terry on April 19, 2019, 09:09:33 PM

We think alike, although I will add that I don't look down on anyone else's hunting methods as long as they're legal. I especially like your last rule as when I take out a youth I am all about whatever they want to do.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
Taking a youth tomorrow and the only rule is he has to shoot 30 yards and in. Otherwise it's his hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marc

Interesting read and some great replies!

Two seasons ago, when there were very few birds, the land-owner told me how I could walk up to and shoot birds out of the roost...

He was a golfer..  I asked him if he would enjoy a round at Pebble Beach?  He told me of course.  And I asked "would you enjoy walking up to each hole with ball in hand and dropping it in each hole for a perfect score on the course?"  He smiled and acknowledged my point.

It is my impression, that the easier it is to kill a bird, and the more access (and time) a hunter has, the more self-imposed rules.  There has to be some challenge to keep it fun, but there also has to be some success (or chance thereof) to have the desire to continue going.

When the bird numbers are high, and as we gain experience, it has been my observation that we all develop more self-imposed rules, and become more particular about the birds we shoot...  When things get tough, I most likely become a bit less particular about the bird I am shooting, and some of my self-imposed rules might become more "self-imposed suggestions..."

As far as a spring hunt, I think one self-imposed rule I would almost always follow, is that I have to have some sort of conversation with the turkey I am hunting...  Calling and fooling the bird is by far the most exciting part for me... 

Next year, if my daughter hunts with me, I will probably break a few of my rules, while still hunting under my own personal ethics...  So that my daughter has a chance of success, but also understands that there is a moral and ethical aspect to hunting.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

trkehunr93

I use most anything that is legal in my state with the exception of a rifle and fanning/reaping, they fall into the match on gas category IMO.  If a turkey is hanging near a field on a regular basis I'm breaking out the blind and dekes and sitting him out, it's paid off many times.  When I take my 7 year old we sit in the blind, we'll sit against a tree when he's ready.  If a gobblers hanging out on a wooded ridge I'm nestling in against a tree as close as I can get and leaving the blind and dekes in the SUV.  If he won't commit and I have to get ahead of him and cut him off I'll do it, some may call that bushwhacking but desperate times call for desperate measures.  As long as what you do is legal then go out and enjoy yourself.

davisd9

My personal rules is to hunt the way I hunt and hold no one else accountable for my personal rules.

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

eggshell

I see that several people still apply their rules when hunting with someone else. That is fine, but I will compromise my personal style if I'm hunting with someone. If I'm hunting with a newby then they have not developed personal rules and a filled tag is more of a validation to them, I will bend to anything legal. Even if it's a friend and they want to use dekes, blinds or other tactics I will bend a little. If I don't want to bend I just decline to go, but if I agree to go I make it pleasant for them. I don't need to kill another gobbler to prove anything, I just want to have fun and enjoy someone's company. If I'm hunting with someone my personal rule is to make every set up with them having the advantage and getting the shot if possible.

GobbleNut

Quote from: eggshell on April 20, 2019, 06:55:43 AM
I see that several people still apply their rules when hunting with someone else. That is fine, but I will compromise my personal style if I'm hunting with someone. If I'm hunting with a newby then they have not developed personal rules and a filled tag is more of a validation to them, I will bend to anything legal. Even if it's a friend and they want to use dekes, blinds or other tactics I will bend a little. If I don't want to bend I just decline to go, but if I agree to go I make it pleasant for them. I don't need to kill another gobbler to prove anything, I just want to have fun and enjoy someone's company. If I'm hunting with someone my personal rule is to make every set up with them having the advantage and getting the shot if possible.

I agree with this,...to a point.  A few years back, New Mexico allowed shooting over bait or feeders on private land (thank God we got that changed).  There was/is a youth hunting club in my community and back then they would set up tent blinds on private property and let the kids shoot turkeys coming into feeders.  The adults running the show were fine with doing it and kids thought that was perfectly acceptable. 

For me, it was not,...and never will be.  Moral of the story: no matter if they are kids or not, there are some hunting methods that are just not acceptable.  At some point the concept of "fair chase" has to overrule the desire to let a kid (or anybody else) kill a turkey.

deerpoo22

I see quite a few people don't like rifles for hunting. I would never use one in the spring as it totally defeats the purpose, but come fall I'm in archery mode 100%. I like to spend all my free time deer hunting but do like to go out just 1 day for turkey not for the hunt, but rather the meat. I always liked to put a spread of domestic and wild turkey out for Thanksgiving. All fall strategies like scattering the flock and sitting and waiting become moot when I can use the spot and shoot method. Stumble across a flock, put the crosshairs on the first one I see, and I got my meat.

shaman

Just some random thoughts after reading through the posts:

1)  My main guide is Fair Chase.  Rule #1 is Obey all hunting rules.  Beyond that, I feel I don't owe the gobbler anything but a quick clean demise.  Most of what needs to be considered regarding turkey ethics is right there.

2)  I honestly wish that KY would allow rifle on private property.  I'm not for taking long shots, but it would be much easier to plug a bird with a 38 wadcutter than to try and blow his head off with a shotgun.  The recoil of a 3" 12 GA turkey load is right up there with a .416 Rigby.  I have a Marlin 1894 that would be ideal for this purpose.  I still try and get them inside 20 yards before I take them.   Sadly, I know if centerfire rifle were legal, somebody would be trying to nail them at 200 yards.

3)  Back when I was pro-staffing for T&TH, there was a big kerfluffle over blinds, dekes and such.  Me?  I've tried them all, and prefer sitting with my back to a tree. It's just easier.  There are plenty of birds out there. You can take them your way. I'll stick to mine.

4) Another big kerfluffle was over this whole thing about calling vs. woodsmanship.  PA has the phrase "by calls alone" in their rules.  Taken to an extreme, that would mean that if I heard a turkey gobble, no matter the distance, I should just sit my butt down on the spot and call. I don't think that's a very good way to hunt.  I've done my share of end-arounds, -footing, and other manuevers to get closer to a bird. I've even bellycrawled a bit.   No, I've never stalked a bird, and no I don't believe in it.  It's not safe, and it's highly unproductive.  PA and other states put those rules in there to keep people from wandering around the woods and thinking they could sneak up on a turkey.  That practice got a lot of hunters shot. It is always wisest to get somewhere well enough away from the bird, and sit your butt down.  Closing the distance beforehand is okay in my book.

5)  Bait?  It's illegal.  Food plots?  Fine.  Most people don't realize that food plots for turkey really doesn't make them easier to hunt.  It just increases the carrying capacity of the land.  I plant food plots, and the last place I want to be on the Opener is camped out next to one of those plots. The turkeys, if they are actually feeding on the plot are usually out in the middle and impossible to call in. 

6)  Ambushing?  Some people would call me an ambusher.  I'm not.  I call.  I just usually set up and call from one of the pre-determined places on my property where it is advantageous to hunt the birds.  I've been on this property for nearly 20 seasons. By now, I know where they roost, where they eat, where they loaf.  There are no great mysteries left in that regard.  After about the first 5 years, I realized I was putting my back against the same trees that's all. 

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

bbcoach

I'm a fair chase, decoys and blinds on certain occasions, call them in close, hunter.  I don't believe in rifles for turkeys, even if you can legally.  I want that up close gobbling, spitting and drumming, in my face, heart pounding type of hunt.  Never tried reaping so I have mixed feelings about it.  One rule I have always stuck to is you can kill a jake until you kill that first gobbler, once you kill your first gobbler you can't cross back over.   

1iagobblergetter

I have to call them in to shoot them or if they slip in at least think I did..Lol...
Ill use blinds,decoys,etc..sometimes and then sometimes I won't.
I pass on jakes in the spring,but in the Fall I shoot whatever I call in and try to pass on the brood hens..
Its all personal preference for me and I try not to turn my nose up at other peoples methods as long as it's within the law..
The way I hunt is gratifying to me and works for my time constraints.

MK M GOBL

I have a shed full of "tools" and use them, or not. My tools my rules, all legal of course. I don't reap, don't care to. I have been at this long enough not to care how you hunt or if you care how I hunt, as long as it's legal where you hunt.

I love to share my hunts with others! Kill more birds with someone else than I do for myself, Don't get me wrong I still like to pull the trigger!!

My ethics are my own, how I was raised and how I hunt. Thanks Dad :)

I am Hook'd

MK M GOBL

Tom Foolery

I don't carry a decoy and I don't own a blind.  I have no issues with people that use them.
I won't limb  lift one.
I'll shoot as far as my pattern holds and conditions allow. I'm not a long range guy though, I hunt with a 20 gauge.
I have no problem with fanning.  I've seen it used 9 times, it's been unsuccessful on 8 of the 9.  Our birds must be lovers and not fighters because to hear people talk it's 1000000% automatic.
I despise sitting for hours hoping a bird waddles by, that said if it does he's taking a ride home.
I will not break game laws, cross property lines or encroach on someone else.

As long as other people follow the laws and they're happy with how they hunt then we're good.

Plush

Be legal, respect others, do what I want (not going list all my own feelings), and not worry about what others think is "Right".

Have fun and be safe.