OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Opinions: To wear snake boots/gaiters or not--why or why not

Started by Bagg-it Tag-it, April 19, 2019, 09:22:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nathan_Wiles

Big ol canebrake laying in the road last Spring in the SC lowcountry. This one was really chilled out and we gave each other lots of space. Beautiful critter, glad it did not surprise me might have been catastrophic running into a pine tree in full retreat:)
Anyway I wear snake boots and was when I saw this one.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

Not trying to discourage anybody from wearing snake protection.  If it gives you peace-of-mind, that is the important thing.  There are no-doubt places where the potential for being bitten is greater than others.

...But,...having said that, from my own experience over the years having run-ins with dozens of rattlesnakes here in New Mexico,...many of which could have easily struck me,...I can state with some confidence that snakes typically want nothing to do with people.  I have had them rear up on their hind legs and act like they wanted to tear me apart, but I have never had one of them strike at me.  Perhaps that can give some of you some added solace.

Or course,....it only takes one time for a guy's attitude to do a 180!...

roberthyman14

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 10, 2020, 09:45:00 PM
Not trying to discourage anybody from wearing snake protection.  If it gives you peace-of-mind, that is the important thing.  There are no-doubt places where the potential for being bitten is greater than others.

...But,...having said that, from my own experience over the years having run-ins with dozens of rattlesnakes here in New Mexico,...many of which could have easily struck me,...I can state with some confidence that snakes typically want nothing to do with people.  I have had them rear up on their hind legs and act like they wanted to tear me apart, but I have never had one of them strike at me.  Perhaps that can give some of you some added solace.

You dont have water moccasins out there do you. Those things hate everybody.  I worry more about them the rattlesnakes.  Biggest threat of a rattler is when you are cleaning a spot to set your butt down.  Pygmy rattlers dont make noise.  Lots of folks take a hit on the hand.  Big diamond backs do prefer to leave.

StruttinGobbler3

Quote from: roberthyman14 on February 10, 2020, 09:48:45 PM

You dont have water moccasins out there do you. Those things hate everybody.  I worry more about them the rattlesnakes.  Biggest threat of a rattler is when you are cleaning a spot to set your butt down.  Pygmy rattlers dont make noise.  Lots of folks take a hit on the hand.  Big diamond backs do prefer to leave.

Agreed. Rattlesnakes usually- not always, but usually- give a warning before they strike and they do so out of self defense when they feel threatened. Copperheads will strike if you crowd them. Most guys get bit by them by sitting on them or close next to them. However, a water moccasin comes out of its egg with a focused, burning hatred for the world around it. They hold a special hatred in their cold black hearts for turkey hunters and coon hunters that dare to bumble through their domain. In all seriousness, a moccasin is by nature a mean, very aggressive snake. Especially a nesting female with eggs or babies nearby. They have been known many times to charge or chase people who get too close. A cottonmouth is a nasty snake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

GobbleNut

Quote from: roberthyman14 on February 10, 2020, 09:48:45 PM

No, we mostly have rattlers.  Like I said, I'm sure you guys that have an assortment of venomous snakes are at a greater risk, for sure.  I just thought I would try to alleviate the fears some folks seem to have that every snake is out to get them....

NCL

Wearing snake boots is kind of like learning how to swim. You may only need them once but you will be glad you have them.