OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Opinions: To wear snake boots/gaiters or not--why or why not

Started by Bagg-it Tag-it, April 19, 2019, 09:22:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Jeremy

I have both snake boots, and crack shot snake gaiters. I keep the gaiters in my truck, and wear them with light hiking boots when I intend to cover a lot of ground, or if I happen to be out and about and want to explore an area. But, I wear my snake boots more often when hunting. They just aren't as comfortable.

Here's the gaiters that I have:

https://www.amazon.com/Crackshot-Snake-Guardz-Socks-Medium/dp/B01F0JPKXW/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=snake+gaiters&qid=1581291561&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&smid=ANWO361MQE3WC&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyUEpZVDJQNjA3VUJMJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTA5NDU4MkxHUzI1Uk9MMUdQUyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODEyMTExRU8yT01XSllCM01EJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Big Jeremy

Quote from: Big Jeremy on February 09, 2020, 06:42:03 PM
I have both snake boots, and crack shot snake gaiters. I keep the gaiters in my truck, and wear them with light hiking boots when I intend to cover a lot of ground, or if I happen to be out and about and want to explore an area. But, I wear my snake boots more often when hunting. They just aren't as comfortable.

Here's the gaiters that I have:

https://www.amazon.com/Crackshot-Snake-Guardz-Socks-Medium/dp/B01F0JPKXW/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=snake+gaiters&qid=1581291561&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&smid=ANWO361MQE3WC&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyUEpZVDJQNjA3VUJMJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTA5NDU4MkxHUzI1Uk9MMUdQUyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODEyMTExRU8yT01XSllCM01EJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

As someone else mentioned, I added some paracord to help keep them from riding up my leg. Never noticed much of an issue, anyway, but it doesn't hurt.

Heldo

Quote from: aclawrence on February 09, 2020, 06:17:42 PM
That's a great point about the financial repercussions of a snake bite.  I went out last year after the season was over and stepped right beside a big ole timber rattler. Luckily it was cold and he was too lethargic to even rattle. If it would have been hot he would have rattled early enough or probably bit me. I was wearing my turtle skins but it would have freaking put my heart in overdrive.  I took a picture of the snake and it always takes people a minute to find it. They are masters at camouflage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you still like the turtleskins?  Those are where I'm leaning based on how light/thin they look. They appear to be the most comfortable.

Kylongspur88

Lots of copperheads and timber rattlers where I hunt. Yes my gaiters are hot but they give me a peace of mind when stepping over logs or kicking away leaf litter to clear a spot to sit. They also keep my pants legs dry in wet grass and brush

Mossyguy

About 7-8 years ago I was walking back from a bow hunt through an old hay field that's next to the house. I felt something like a briar snagged on my boot. I looked down to see a cottonmouth as big as my arm latched onto my boot just above the ankle. He let go and I ran to the house, which was only 100 yards away, and immediately took off my boot. The boot did its job, but I needed a new pair of pants :) This snake was in a spot I never expected to see one. I've worn them ever since.

Devastator

If i hunted with the snakes that some of you have out there i would pay huge money to have a full body
kevlar suit,and im not kidding,i hate snakes even non venomous.

wchadw

I wear snake proof. In the south it's hot enough that they are moving. I jumped over a creek when I was a kid while turkey hunting  and landed directly on a big ole cotton mouths head....

turkey_picker

It's to easy to wear either boots or gaiters. I always wear snake boots, after having gotten close enough for a rattle snake to start rattling. That's a sound you won't soon forget! One bite is all it takes to change your life forever.

aclawrence

Quote from: Heldo on February 09, 2020, 06:45:45 PM
Quote from: aclawrence on February 09, 2020, 06:17:42 PM
That's a great point about the financial repercussions of a snake bite.  I went out last year after the season was over and stepped right beside a big ole timber rattler. Luckily it was cold and he was too lethargic to even rattle. If it would have been hot he would have rattled early enough or probably bit me. I was wearing my turtle skins but it would have freaking put my heart in overdrive.  I took a picture of the snake and it always takes people a minute to find it. They are masters at camouflage.

Do you still like the turtleskins?  Those are where I'm leaning based on how light/thin they look. They appear to be the most comfortable.
They're the best option I've seen so far. I have some OR crodile expedition gaiters that are way superior in design as far as gaiters go. I wish turtle skin would make a few design changes but they're still working for me.

Rick

I had a big cotton mouth hit my snake proof rubber boots one time , i didnt even know it , buddy of mine that was walking behind me seen it .  Paid for themselves right there.
Saved By Grace

bigriverbum

how far north do guys wear snake boots?

we have quite a few timber rattlers in SW WI but they're not very active til late in the season.  i've seen 4 or 5 out morel hunting or trout fishing. once came face to face with a small one while using all fours to climb a steep hillside.

RutnNStrutn

Much of my hunting has been done in central FLA and the Lowcountry in SC. Lots of cottonmouths, rattlers, pygmies, copperheads and coral snakes. I almost stepped on a couple of snakes early on, which prompted me to start wearing snake boots. The first snake boots I had, Chippewas, were heavy, and not waterproof. I got struck twice that first year, both times in the dark.
I've worn snake boots religiously ever since. Of course, I've never had any close calls again in years, but I feel safe walking through the woods in them. I like the Redhead side zip snake boots. They are light, comfortable and hold their waterproofing as well as the others.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

RutnNStrutn

Turkey picker said it best......

"One bite is all it takes to change your life forever."

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

CALLM2U

I stepped 6 inches from this guy in Colorado on an elk hunt.  I'm not sure if my heart has calmed down since and that was 3 years ago.  I was a LONG way from getting help and it wouldn't have been good.   That next Spring I ran into 3 more in VA and TN.  I decided that being hot was a good price to pay for my 3 girls being able to see their dad. 

Big Pine

I hate doing lots of walking with snake boots on with a passion, But they are almost a necessity where I hunt. It seems like everywhere you go you walk up on a cotton mouth. Today is the last day of deer season where I live and my dad walked up on a 5 foot rattlesnake.