turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Opinions: To wear snake boots/gaiters or not--why or why not

Started by Bagg-it Tag-it, April 19, 2019, 09:22:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aclawrence

The distance/time to receiving help is one big factor in why I wear gaiters. Like someone mentioned earlier, if you're an hour drive from the hospital and a mile or two away from even getting back to your truck and have no cell service it could potentially put you in a seriously bad situation.  I also always try to take a good luck around before sitting down and putting my hands on the ground. One thing you don't hear is someone that has been bitten saying they won't wear protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bagg-it Tag-it

Turtle Skins came in today. I'll be out and test them in the next few days.

aclawrence

I was glad I had mine on yesterday. I ran across this timber rattler. Luckily I saw him in plenty of time.

Bagg-it Tag-it

Quote from: BBR12 on April 21, 2019, 11:33:17 AM
I wear a good pair of all leather boots and Turtle Skins. Several other replies about them and they were all spot on. They are nowhere near as hot as snake boots and they are insurance. I feel completely naked if I don't wear them now days.

TIP FOR TURTLE SKINS:  Take a very sharp knife (box cutter works great) and make a small cut on the inside of the bottom where the elastic is and then cut the elastic and they will not ride up on your boots. I wear hiking boots most of the time now and them riding up was a pain. I have seen no issues with doing this and I know its been at least a year since I did my pair. I had actually forgotten about doing it till my buddy asked me about it the other day before he did his.
I think I'm going to have to try this. The elastic was tight and the gaiter did tend to ride up my boot (I wear hiking boots too). Looks like several have tried snipping the elastic so hopefully I won't be ruining them....

aclawrence

I just added a short length of para cord though the eyelets on the gaiters like a stirrup and tie a couple bow knots and it keeps mine pulled down great now.

Bagg-it Tag-it

Quote from: aclawrence on April 26, 2019, 09:32:06 PM
I just added a short length of para cord though the eyelets on the gaiters like a stirrup and tie a couple bow knots and it keeps mine pulled down great now.

Yeah--I had attached paracord to the eyelets and run it under my boot. My boots are just slightly too short. Standard hiking boot and only about 6" tall. Even with the para cord....the gaiter rides up right over the top of the boot in the back. Otherwise they were a success. Late season briars didn't stick to my pants at all. I tromped right through. My boots are about shot--so my next pair will be slightly taller....an 8" or 9" boot and problem should be solved. But I may snip that elastic anyway to make them easier to get on and off.

Marc

Here is an interesting list of fatalities over some time...

Notice how many people were bit purposely interacting with the snake (and some while trying to dispatch the snake).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_snake_bites_in_the_United_States

Another article about overall reported snakebites (many of which are children):

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/snakebites-kids-riskiest-states-florida-texas/

I feel I am more likely to get bit will sitting, or while trying to make scratching sounds in tall grass or leaves.  I tend to try to hide in areas with more cover, and walk over areas with less cover (as to avoid making noise).  I watch the ground when turkey hunting as to avoid making noise (not to avoid stepping on a snake but I sure as heck would walk around if I spotted one).

Looking on the internet, it is tough to find many accounts of snakeboots preventing many people from getting bit (although there are a couple of accounts)...  Maybe this is due to the fact that people wearing snakeboots are actively concerned about, and looking out for them? Or maybe hunters tend to be more aware of their surroundings when in the woods?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Bagg-it Tag-it

Some sobering articles. My grandpa was bit on the calf by a copperhead when I was a kid. He was a hard headed dude and lived out in the country and didn't even go to the doctor. I remember the small "x's" he carved at the fang marks and used his snake bite kit to suck out the poison ( which probably did nothing). As to your assertion in your research online to not much evidence of snake boots helping....there were three or four guys that responded here that said their boots helped them during snake bites.

roberthyman14

Not gonna be many reports of boots helping cause no need to report.  I hunt with guys that don't wear any. I wear mine all the time.  I don't have to watch the ground when in going places, now I still pay attention cause I aint trying to test out the product. My luck mine were made on Friday by a guy retiring

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Rzrbac

Never owned or considered any. Every year somebody kills a nice rattler around my turkey hunting spots, but I've never seen one. I guess it has to do with one's experience.  Cottonmouths and copperheads were all over my grandpas place and I worked and played in tennis shoes or rubber boots. I remember pitching hay and several times a copperhead or black snake would be baled up. I'm not saying I don't respect them but I've just never worried about them or considered snake boots.

Jmarek

Hunted years in Virginia and never even owned snake boots - never had a problem. A friend moved to Texas and now I go every year
to Texas to hunt birds also. Never even saw a snake until about two years ago but after you see a few rattlesnakes close by - I bought a pair -
comfortable and light weight, waterproof and just makes it a little more relaxing to walk around especially this year as the grass was tall and green-
more so than in years past - you couldn't see where you were putting your feet.   Just my two cents

Heldo

Anybody else wearing the turtle skins?

I've been considering picking up a pair.

StruttinGobbler3

I make my living working as an RN in the emergency room. Trust me when I say if you had seen what I have you would wear snake boots on every hunt. I've seen a snakebite in the ER that turned ugly fast. One guy was bitten on the thumb by a rattler. Within a couple hours, despite anti venom, the swelling had traveled proximally up his arm toward his neck, threatening his airway. He ended up intubated and sedated on a ventilator in the intensive care unit. Believing that you will see every venomous snake in the woods before you get close to him is ridiculous. They are masters of camouflage and in many cases you can't see your feet. Not to mention if you do survive the bite, you have hospital bill to contend with that your kids will still be paying off down the road. Anti venom is roughly 15-20 thousand dollars per vial, and you could require anywhere from ten to twenty vials during your hospital stay. That's not including the bill from the ER, intensive care stay, and the various doctors who will bill individually for your care. In short, don't be a tough guy (idiot) when it comes to venomous snakes. Wear the boots. If you're not tough enough to wear boots that are a pound or two heavier then you're certainly not tough enough to handle a rattlesnake or cottonmouth bite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

aclawrence

That's a great point about the financial repercussions of a snake bite.  I went out last year after the season was over and stepped right beside a big ole timber rattler. Luckily it was cold and he was too lethargic to even rattle. If it would have been hot he would have rattled early enough or probably bit me. I was wearing my turtle skins but it would have freaking put my heart in overdrive.  I took a picture of the snake and it always takes people a minute to find it. They are masters at camouflage.

aclawrence