OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Opinions: To wear snake boots/gaiters or not--why or why not

Started by Bagg-it Tag-it, April 19, 2019, 09:22:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaLongbeard

I did the same thing removed the elastic band they stay put just like pants legs no movement. I also removed the strap that went under the heel it only collected mud. Mine don't ride up at all and they would have to ride up past my knees to get above my boots. I had mine covered in Greenleaf camo the material covered the sound that they made when rubbing together. I see no benefit to snake boots VS the turtle  skins , unless you drop them in a fire they will last a lifetime they will never leak because there gaiters not boots, they weigh very little, and are not hot or clamped down around your leg. Ever notice when you see someone wearing snake boots in a picture? There most always unlaced lol trying to get some air on them sweaty legs. You can see in the pic the turtle skins aren't clamped down around the leg they fit like a pants leg, you forget your wearing them. Best part I think they have some kind of snake repellent built in , I haven't seen a single snake while wearing them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

aclawrence

Did you get the green leaf material sewn on or is it glued?

LaLongbeard

Quote from: aclawrence on April 21, 2019, 04:18:48 PM

If you look close at the seams on your turtleskins you'll see the holes when they sewed the pieces  together at the factory, had to run the thread thru these holes. The girl that sewed them broke a few sewing machine needles trying to sew thru the material. The stuff is thin but tough, she hand sewed them. But I did use hot glue on the middle sections it worked fine. The material glued easy and hasn't came unstuck in over a year.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

RutnNStrutn

I always wear my snake boots unless it's really cold out. Then I'll switch to winter boots for warmth. Snakes are pretty dormant in cold weather anyway. I've been struck in the calf TWICE while wearing snake boots, so I'm damned glad I was wearing them!! Both were walking out of the woods after a deer hunt after dark, and both times I was a long ways from the road. I'd have been in a world of hurt had I gotten bit.
I've tried pretty much all of the snake boots on the market. I settled on the Redhead snake boots from Bass Pro. They are lightweight, waterproof (usually last a year or two before they start leaking - unlike the more expensive brands that leak right away), they're not hot and are very comfortable to wear. Plus, compared to the more expensive brands, they don't break the bank when you have to buy a new pair due to leaks. Non-snake proof, non-waterproof boots cost just as much. I wear the leaky ones for dry, afternoon hunts.

aclawrence

Quote from: LaLongbeard on April 21, 2019, 05:52:41 PM
Quote from: aclawrence on April 21, 2019, 04:18:48 PM

If you look close at the seams on your turtleskins you'll see the holes when they sewed the pieces  together at the factory, had to run the thread thru these holes. The girl that sewed them broke a few sewing machine needles trying to sew thru the material. The stuff is thin but tough, she hand sewed them. But I did use hot glue on the middle sections it worked fine. The material glued easy and hasn't came unstuck in over a year.
Thanks I may give this a try after the season is over.  Just have to find some fabric.

catman529

I've only ever seen 4 timber rattlesnakes and 1 copperhead in my 9 years of hunting. 1 of the rattlesnakes a friend found and 1 was a roadkill. The copperhead and one of the other rattlesnakes I almost stepped on wearing flip flops. None of the snakes were aggressive, they either didn't move or tried to get away. The only aggressive snakes I've seen were rat snakes. I don't worry about it and I wear whatever boots are comfortable and get the job done. I doubt I'll ever wear snake gaiters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

singlestrand

I started wearing snake boots when I started hunting public ground. I figured if I was going to be over a mile from the truck, in woods I didn't know, then it'd be a good idea to have them on. I'm not worried that I'll get bit, I've never even seen a poisonous snake while hunting, and they may not even work if I was to get bit, but they give me confidence to go blindly trudging through the woods without worrying about every step. I have the lacrosse. They are the third pair that I've had, and the only pair that didn't leak in wet grass.

kjnengr

I think the deciding factor for most to wear/not wear snake boots comes down to past experiences/run-ins with snakes and how afraid he/she is of snakes. 

I hunt a swampy area that is loaded with moccasins.  I have a pair of Lacrosse 4x snake boots.  I needed a lighter pair of rubber boots than the ones I was using for deer season so I figured why not get boots with snake protection.  I really like them and they are not overly hot for spring turkey hunting and early bow season.

When I hunt in central Texas, I wear plain cowboy/work boots. 

Bagg-it Tag-it

So thanks for all responses—I think I added that I decided on getting the snake gaiters. I wear regular gaiters anyway for keeping leaves and dirt out of my socks so snake gaiters won't be much different from what I normally do anyway. (Except I'll be protected from snakes...or at least more so than normal). Thanks to Catman for chiming in with the opposing view. I was in his camp till just the other day when I almost stepped on this guy...

Spitten and drummen

I have been bitten. Its no fun. I wear snake gaitors after the weather warms a bit.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Marc

How many of you that wear snakeboots have been "saved" by them?  I also wonder how many turkey hunters get bitten each year nation wide?

I have run across a few...  I am more concerned when sitting down than when walking...  Some areas of the country I would consider wearing them, but here in California I'll live with the slight risk.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

roberthyman14

I wear mine year round. I don't have to look down for snakes.  Plus they are tall enough if I cross a creek I can stay pretty dry.  I'm wearing Irish setters.  Just gotta keep up with the silicone to keep my feet dry.  Biggest issue is looking for spiders and pygmy rattlers when sitting down. Them jokers are mad at the world. 1 bite on the hand is gonna mess up ur week

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

NCL

I started wearing snake boots a few years ago when on my way out and only a couple of hundred yards from my truck I almost stepped on a rattler. I had been vigilante in watching all day for snakes and had not seen one. The snake was coiled in the middle of the road in some tall grass and I almost stepped on him, fortunately he was facing the opposite way or I may have got hit.  Since I was close to my truck and I was thirty, it was about 90 genres that day, I let my guard down. He had 9 rattles so it was not a small snake.

wolfman

i've never owned a pair.  i'm not used to hunting eastern NC but came across this guy on public land.  the next day i waded across a swamp and managed to get my 2nd gobbler of the season.  i think i need to invest in a pair of snake boots if for nothing else other than peace of mind.

Bagg-it Tag-it

Quote from: wolfman on April 24, 2019, 12:41:48 PM
i've never owned a pair.  i'm not used to hunting eastern NC but came across this guy on public land.  the next day i waded across a swamp and managed to get my 2nd gobbler of the season.  i think i need to invest in a pair of snake boots if for nothing else other than peace of mind.

If I saw that thing I might start wearing gaiters inside too