turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Opinions: To wear snake boots/gaiters or not--why or why not

Started by Bagg-it Tag-it, April 19, 2019, 09:22:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bagg-it Tag-it

To me it seems that there has always been two camps on the topic of snakes. The first believe that you are rolling the dice with luck to NOT wear snake boots/gaiters. The second camp believes that gaiters/boots are too heavy and hot and that they will likely see the snake first anyway and can avoid it.

(I have always been in the second camp. I like to keep things simple and light and move quick. However, yesterday I almost stepped on a timber rattler and it has me re-thinking my opinions. I know that the timber rattler is pretty docile and often false strike too--as in not injecting venom if they do strike.)

Please share your thought process on venomous snakes while turkey hunting.

dirt road ninja

I wear mine most of the time. If for anything else i don't need to look down at my feet, keep my eyes up looking for birds. As far as the additional weight, most turkey hunters I know carry an extra 10 pounds on their mid section that if weight truly bothered them they could lose. I always laugh to myself when I see a fat guy spending $$$$ on an ultra light rifle.

guesswho

Out of 52 seasons, I've worn snake boots on maybe four hunts.  And I grew up in central Florida so snake encounters were always a possibility.   But I have always done things that I wouldn't recommend other people to do.  As a kid I was always the one to push the envelope and was known as "that kid".   Now that I'm older and not grown up, I'm referred to as "that guy". 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Muzzy61

I hunt in North Florida. Two things i don't enter the woods without. My snake boots and my Thermacell.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Chuck1443

My thought is, its not the snake you see that bites you.... usually. I wear them, I didn't when I was young and consider myself fortunate. I like the peace of mind having them.

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

I haven't wore a pair of snake boots in years. A lot times I wear tennis shoes when its dry. Its easier to sneak around in. This year after reading a post about a guy getting bit and the repercussions I bought a pair of Irish setter vapreteks. I absolutely love them. They need some more water proofing but overall a great boot. I don't want to take the chance of getting bit and missing any hunting time or a huge bill!
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Bagg-it Tag-it

Thanks for the opinions so far. I mentioned "heavy" earlier but more than the weight of snake boots it is the "hot" part. I've worn Muck/LaCrosse type boots at times in wet conditions and they are so hot. Sounds like most of you do snake boots rather than snake gaiters (or at least so far). I considered just wearing my Muck boots as the heavy neoprene is probably pretty tough to penetrate. Or even just full size regular gaiters as they would be less hot and would be another pretty tough layer to penetrate. I guess my resistance to wearing them is because I'm hot natured and want to keep as cool as possible. For those that wear snake boots....do you find them hot?

dirt road ninja

LaLongbeard

I wear the turtle skin gaiters there no thicker than a pair of blue jeans and no hotter than the pants your already wearing. I wear leather 9" boots that protect my feet the turtle skins cover from ankle up to knee. Every pair of snake boots I've ever seen are heavy and hot.
I have hunted a lot in both rattle snake and water moccasin areas I've had way more close calls with the moccasins they give no warning are aggressive and don't back down. I've found the rattle snake to avoid conflict if they can. Odds are you won't get bit by any snake but those that have usally learn there lesson
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Bagg-it Tag-it

Quote from: LaLongbeard on April 19, 2019, 11:48:44 AM
I wear the turtle skin gaiters there no thicker than a pair of blue jeans and no hotter than the pants your already wearing. I wear leather 9" boots that protect my feet the turtle skins cover from ankle up to knee. Every pair of snake boots I've ever seen are heavy and hot.
I have hunted a lot in both rattle snake and water moccasin areas I've had way more close calls with the moccasins they give no warning are aggressive and don't back down. I've found the rattle snake to avoid conflict if they can. Odds are you won't get bit by any snake but those that have usally learn there lesson
Yeah, mocassins aren't in my hunting area too much...but they used to try to swim in the boat in places I used to fish. Hate those critters.

tomstopper

Until I moved to NC, I never used to wear snake boots. My first year hunting here I had a full grown copperhead slither from under my truck and into the road as I was standing by my bed of my truck and glassing a field. It was less than 3 1/2 ft away. I jumped in my truck and backed over it. Thank God I was on the road because if these are in the woods and in leaves, they are very hard to spot and rely on their camo and usually people end up stepping on them.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Bagg-it Tag-it

Thanks for the continued responses. To clarify I live in TN and always have. I've been in the woods my whole life and not really ever worried. It was a close encounter with a timber rattler yesterday that has me re-thinking things. I have decided to take the plunge and get either boots or gaiters. Unfortunately it sounds like every brand brought up either leaks pretty quick or are too hot. (after I made the initial post I thought to search the archives here at OG....which I should have done originally). If anyone feels strongly about a brand one way or the other--please share. Thanks again

hush

Always wear 'em. I'm in GA, we have a few snakes. I love seeing them, but don't want to get bitten. Wearing snake boots takes a distraction out of the equation. I don't have to worry about them in the dark when I'm coming in. Or across a trail as I'm leaving. Or in tall brush where I can't see my feet. Or if one gets squirrelly when I go to thump his head. Plus, with high waterproof boots, I can move through creeks without getting my toes wet.

hush

Regarding leaks, I buy a waterproof boot and take it further. Heavily rub mink oil into the seams and on leather. Spray any cloth with silicone. As far as hot, I'd rather be hot than bitten. Non issue for me as I've alway worn 'em. I wear a heavy hiking sock too. If you're a size 11.5, I have a pair of Danner Pronghorn leather and cordura snakeboots that I've given the waterproof treatment to. Worn em once. Too big for me.

Gobbler428

I live in South Carolina and hunt in several swampy areas. I always wear snake boots and wouldn't want to put my foot in a place I couldn't see good without them.  Every turkey season and most of deer season we kill several big rattlers and water moccasins on our leases. IMO snake boots are good insurance and offer peace of mind when walking in the dark and thick, swampy areas. Wouldn't leave home for the woods without them.