turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I Shot Pepe LePew

Started by shaman, April 18, 2019, 12:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaman

After 6 days of watching uninterested gobblers, I finally connected with a gobbler at 715 this morning, Day 6 of KY's Spring Gobbler Season.

Details and pics are here:

I Shot Pepe LePew

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

tomstopper

Congrats

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

shaman

Thanks all.

This was actually two new ones on me.  Calling to a hen is not new.  I've done that before.  However, this was a new thing: the hen seemed to be on her way to me with the idea of getting the pesky gobbler off her back.  The other new thing was that the gobbler just wasn't taking no for an answer. I've never seen a gobbler so intent on mounting an uninterested hen.  Usually they'll stand back and display.  This one was seriously chasing her.

Anybody else seen this sort of thing?

KentuckyHeadhunter

Quote from: shaman on April 18, 2019, 04:33:01 PM
Thanks all.

This was actually two new ones on me.  Calling to a hen is not new.  I've done that before.  However, this was a new thing: the hen seemed to be on her way to me with the idea of getting the pesky gobbler off her back.  The other new thing was that the gobbler just wasn't taking no for an answer. I've never seen a gobbler so intent on mounting an uninterested hen.  Usually they'll stand back and display.  This one was seriously chasing her.

Anybody else seen this sort of thing?

Yep especially with jakes and 2 yr olds.  Saw it opening morning in GA.  Congrats on your turkey. :you_rock:
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Greg Massey

Awesome , congrats on a nice bird ...

Bullet1

Kytomgetter

Bowhuntr73

shoer2

shaman

I forgot to mention before that this was the first time I have successfully used my box call that I bought back in 2015 from SS Custom Calls.  It is a Butternut/Kwila, and it has a really great tone.  I've got several boxes, including those I've made.  I rotate them throughout season.  It's just been bum luck that this one only made it out on days where the gobblers had lockjaw.   

Anyhow, I just wanted to thank Al Shoemaker again for the great call.

zelmo1

turkaholic

Nice job young man! Enjoy the rest of your season.
live to hunt hunt to live

renegade19

kyturkeyhunter4