OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Federal tss. Dud

Started by Prohunter3509, April 16, 2019, 07:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prohunter3509

Has anyone experienced a dud on a federal tss 20 ga.
Look 8 dollars a piece is too high for a dud
It just so happened I was trying another choke
But now I am hesitant about hunting with them.

Greg Massey

I would contact customer service , i'm sure Federal would like to know about the dud .... I'm sure Federal will make it right ....

RED NECK

Yes,I got one shell half full,I have purchased 10 boxes of #7 tss in the last few months.I have checked every box before I left store since with no issues.My supplier looked after me.I am not sure what they did after that.For the price of the shells they need to do a better job at quality control in their factory.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

Gooserbat

It can happen with any brand, however I've seen more did federal shot shells than any other.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

spaightlabs

What kind of gun were you trying to shoot it out of?

Got a pic of the primer strike you can post?

Prohunter3509

It blowed the wadding out just enough for that
Heavy powder residue in barrel that didn't ignite

spaightlabs

Squib load.

Any chance it got wet somewhere along the line?

If you know what box it came out of I'd let Federal know about it and send a pic of the barcode.  Could be a powder charge problem or a primer problem (sounds like primer) and they ought to thank you for letting them know and send ya a new box for your trouble.

crenshawco

Probably powder migration if I had to guess. Powder migrates out of the powder cup below the wad up along the wad petals and the hull. Shine a light into the hull and I bet you'll see powder

Prohunter3509

I sent federal lott # on box

spaightlabs

Good deal - hope they make it right.

My hunting partner had a Federal Black Cloud squib load last season he didn't hear it, but I did and as he was swinging on the bird that was still flying I yelled STOP and fortunately he did.  Wad made it about 18 inches down the barrel...

joey46

Good to know.  I bought one box of five Federal TSS 12ga #7s.  Two test shots.  Then two gobblers.  One left for next season.  It seems ok.  I won't hunt with any shell that rattles when shaken.  It's tight.  Years ago I shot a lot of skeet.  Used mostly WW AA factory.  Don't remember ever having a problem or witnessing a problem with anyone's factory load.  Reloads a different matter.  Maybe Federal rushed these TSS to market so as not to miss the TSS craze.

Boykin Hollow

Just another reason to roll your own !!!

GobbleNut

I bought some of the federal TSS loads to try this spring,...shot a gobbler with one of them this last Monday.  Looking at the hull after the shot, I noticed that the top/crimp did not open up fully but was rolled in toward the center of the shell a bit.  I have never seen that before with a shot shell and am wondering if I should be concerned about it or if that is just the way it is supposed to open up.  Otherwise, the load seemed to perform okay, but it has me wondering...   Any thoughts?...

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 17, 2019, 04:26:30 PM
I bought some of the federal TSS loads to try this spring,...shot a gobbler with one of them this last Monday.  Looking at the hull after the shot, I noticed that the top/crimp did not open up fully but was rolled in toward the center of the shell a bit.  I have never seen that before with a shot shell and am wondering if I should be concerned about it or if that is just the way it is supposed to open up.  Otherwise, the load seemed to perform okay, but it has me wondering...   Any thoughts?...
That's typical of roll crimps to relax inward after being fired.  All my TSS handloads do that.

Big Jeremy

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on April 17, 2019, 05:01:09 PM
Quote from: GobbleNut on April 17, 2019, 04:26:30 PM
That's typical of roll crimps to relax inward after being fired.  All my TSS handloads do that.

What he said...that's what it is supposed to look like.