OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rare White Wild Turkey Gobbler Taken by Tennessee Hunter

Started by Sir-diealot, April 15, 2019, 03:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

spaightlabs

I'd give it  a solid 'maybe'...

We spotted an all white bird in the sandhills of Nebraska, miles from anything.  My buddy hunted him for most of the season.  Finally ended up tagging him in late May.  Was bragging on his trophy at Wildman's (there's one guy on here at least who knows where that is/was) on Prime Rib night and an old boy let him know that there had been a couple domestic escapees that had mingled in with the wild birds a few years earlier.  This was either a remnant escape or an outcross.

Similar deal in NE Colorado a couple years ago.  There had been an all white 'wild' turkey mixed in with a flock for a couple of springs.  The DOW had advised a few of us that they didn't care where, when, how or what season it was, to kill that sucker and call them - no tag required...

Sir-diealot

Quote from: spaightlabs on April 15, 2019, 04:55:20 PM
I'd give it  a solid 'maybe'...

We spotted an all white bird in the sandhills of Nebraska, miles from anything.  My buddy hunted him for most of the season.  Finally ended up tagging him in late May.  Was bragging on his trophy at Wildman's (there's one guy on here at least who knows where that is/was) on Prime Rib night and an old boy let him know that there had been a couple domestic escapees that had mingled in with the wild birds a few years earlier.  This was either a remnant escape or an outcross.

Similar deal in NE Colorado a couple years ago.  There had been an all white 'wild' turkey mixed in with a flock for a couple of springs.  The DOW had advised a few of us that they didn't care where, when, how or what season it was, to kill that sucker and call them - no tag required...
Lovvett Williams talks about color phase turkey's in his book The book of the Wild Turkey. He talks about different feather coloration as well as different pigmentation of the beards, some almost clear, some kinda yellowish and white as well if I remember correctly.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

spaightlabs

Lovett used to post on here and there has perhaps never been and may never be a better authority.

All anyone knows for sure about this bird is that it is white, and just throwing Lovett's name in the article doesn't change that.  That may or may not be a wild turkey...

Sir-diealot

Quote from: spaightlabs on April 15, 2019, 05:42:46 PM
Lovett used to post on here and there has perhaps never been and may never be a better authority.

All anyone knows for sure about this bird is that it is white, and just throwing Lovett's name in the article doesn't change that.  That may or may not be a wild turkey...
No, no it does not, but you basically made it sound like they do not exits, that was the reason I brought what he had said about them up. I also doubt the Real Tree would post it if it were not a wild turkey. Edit: Noticed under the picture it says "Courtesy photo Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency" that gives it further verification.

John Koenig:

spaightlabs

The point I'm trying to make is that just because a turkey lives in the woods with other turkeys does not make it a wild turkey.  The only way to tell if that it a true color phase of a wild bird is genetic testing.

Don't take Mossy Oak as a bible of sorts - they've posted up animals before that turned out to not be taken where they were originally reported to be taken...

Sir-diealot

Quote from: spaightlabs on April 15, 2019, 07:09:17 PM
The point I'm trying to make is that just because a turkey lives in the woods with other turkeys does not make it a wild turkey.  The only way to tell if that it a true color phase of a wild bird is genetic testing.

Don't take Mossy Oak as a bible of sorts - they've posted up animals before that turned out to not be taken where they were originally reported to be taken...
First off you replied as I was editing my comment. I said Mossy Oak and it was Real Tree, my mistake and I apologize for that. The main part of my edit I am guessing you did not see was this comment "Noticed under the picture it says "Courtesy photo Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency" that gives it further verification."

John Koenig:

SinGin

Wonder if it's an albino? Can't see the head or legs from the picture.

spaightlabs

It just verifies that it is a turkey that is white.  The only way to tell if it is truly wild and a color phase versus and out cross of wild and domestic or a domestic that has been living with wild birds is a genetic test...

bigbird

About 12 years ago or so there was a hen like this gobbler. They're pretty cool to see in the woods.

CALLM2U

I'm a 'benefit of a doubt' kinda guy, so I say congrats!

Sir-diealot

Quote from: SinGin on April 15, 2019, 07:19:24 PM
Wonder if it's an albino? Can't see the head or legs from the picture.
Found this article I will post the link to it so you can go see the video as well.
Sorry, the way it is barred black on either side I thought it was a video, just a picture.

"TENNESSEE — A hunter in Tennessee gets the turkey of a lifetime.

According to Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency, Cameron Bond took what's called a 'leucistic' turkey in Rutherford County last week.

Leucism in birds is described as loss of pigmentation, according to TWRA. The bird's beard was dark, and the back feathers still hold some color.

The turkey weighed 20 pounds, and its beard measured 9.5 inches."

https://fox8.com/2019/04/15/turkey-of-a-lifetime-hunter-takes-rare-white-bird-in-tennessee/

John Koenig:

Snood Life

Sir-diealot

Quote from: 10splayer23 on April 15, 2019, 07:40:59 PM
Hate butterball is short one turkey now.  :)
With what they charge I am sure one will not be missed :D

John Koenig:

dublelung

Cool looking turkey, sucky picture, and the internet investigative authorities are wide awake!