OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Run on Bearded Hens

Started by zelmo1, April 14, 2019, 05:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelmo1

We saw 3 bearded hens today. Two were together. The genetics must be strong here for that . One had a serious beard, She May get a face full of 3rd degrees  :OGturkeyhead:

spaightlabs

i've never understood why anyone would want to kill the turkey makers just because they have a beard, but that's a 'to each his own' situation.

Mossyguy

I've seen more and more the last 5 years or so around here and it's so cool to see. Legal or not they get a pass from me.

fallhnt

Saw one in KS but couldn't get a shot. I shoot any legal bird but I bow hunt. Came home with a couple jakes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

HookedonHooks

I had a double bearded, rope swinging Hen right in my lap two years back. Hopefully I can put down one of her offspring this year.

It's a pass for me too.

LaLongbeard

Quote from: spaightlabs on April 14, 2019, 05:17:24 PM
i've never understood why anyone would want to kill the turkey makers just because they have a beard.
I was set up along a  creek bottom midday Friday been quiet all day I called a little and a hen fed thru I watched her for about an hour till she walked out of site. She was as close as 20 yards at times. Watching her it reminded me how tough it is to be a turkey everything trying to kill you all the time. She has survived no telling how many close calls in her short life, and with nesting time close I wonder if she'll see another year. I would not have shot  her if she had a 12" beard and 2" spurs
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

zelmo1

I was asking a question boys, never shot a hen and don't plan on it. Just biding my time till my opener. Didn't know there were soooooooo many soapboxes here. Sorry to have offended some of you  :OGturkeyhead:

Lazy coyote

I wiffed on one with my recurve bow a few years back, it was painful when it happened.  Now I'm glad I missed.   I don't have a problem with anyone shooting them.

LaLongbeard

If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

tomstopper

Quote from: LaLongbeard on April 15, 2019, 03:39:37 AM
Quote from: zelmo1 on April 14, 2019, 05:06:57 PM
She May get a face full of 3rd degrees  :OGturkeyhead:
?
Can't speak for Zelmo, but maybe he was referring to the hen being shot by another Hunter because of the beard?

I can honestly say that I wouldn't shoot the hen just because it had a beard. Now if the person that chooses to has a healthy population and it's legal in their State, I wouldn't knock them. Happy hunting fellas

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

j.goebel

I will shoot them rather eating tag and they taste the same. I was able to get my cousin and myself one two years ago. They both had 8 inch beards which were not too far off from state records. The genetics exist on the farm I hunt we have at least 3 more running around.
Justin Goebel

zelmo1

Legal birds are just that, legal. Maybe my delivery sucks, but it was a joke on how long the beard was. Sleep easy boys, I will let my conscience be my guide.  :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

Cottonmouth

I saw a unique one the other day crossing the road. We have a few smoke phase hens around here but this one was a little darker than the average smoke phase and she had a 6" beard also. She was only a couple miles from my house.  I hope she passes in front of one of my trail cameras, would be a neat pic.

HookedonHooks

Quote from: zelmo1 on April 15, 2019, 04:22:34 AM
Legal birds are just that, legal. Maybe my delivery sucks, but it was a joke on how long the beard was. Sleep easy boys, I will let my conscience be my guide.  :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
Definitely didn't mean anything against you. If legal in your state, and you have a very healthy population in that area, there really is nothing wrong with it. Can't use the "its all food" excuse and get much sympathy though, because hen breasts are TINY.

Magdump

Just because you can does not mean you should.   

All hens are always safe around me and anyone i hunt with.