OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Another fun hunt!

Started by selinoid44, May 01, 2011, 08:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selinoid44

I have been fortunate enough to have two fun, eventful afternoons! Now you all know harvesting a bird is awesome, but just being out there and seeing birds and learning is just flat out fun. Two afternoons ago I went to a farm at 4 pm, I was set up by 4:30 and sat no more then 10 minutes when I saw a bird coming across a bean field from the west. The bird came from a woods in the most south west corner. I am set up in a adjoining pasture to the east. I gave the bird a few yelps and got a hen started south of me. My back is against a fence adjoining prime turkey area. She mosied down the south side of the fence until she could cross into the bean field then meandered into the pasture up up to my decoys. The other bird went north into the low ground and the hen went on east. I threw out some more yelps and heard shuffling behind me, this was an hour later. There were 4 jakes and a tom moving along my back side not 5 feet from me. They had intentions on getting to my dekes but the fence held them up. Another hour went by and 5 jakes came out of the woods to the west. They saw the decoys and scurried to them, some 350 - 400 yards. No shooters, but they hung out for 15 minutes then went on.
Two days later (today, Sunday) I got back to the same farm, again at 4. There was a hen already feeding in the bean stubble close to the pasture where I needed to get to. I traveled the low ground and around to the south fence making my way west to get set up without her seeing me. At 4:30 here she was still feeding in the beans. 15 minutes pass and I see a fairly good size bird standing at the edge of the woods in the distance. He came across the beans and met up with the hen. They fed for a while then came into the pasture and up to the decoys. His little beard was 1" long. They stayed for 2 1/2 hours. Laying down, feeding, and milling. Finally they went back to the bean stubble to feed and another hen showed up. They fed then went north to the low ground. Another awesome evening with the turkeys. Hopefully Mr. Big Beard will show up soon!

'Flush Draw' Calls
Charlie Louthain
574-527-9785