turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Upgrade has happened

Started by blueribbon, May 01, 2011, 08:38:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueribbon

I killed an upgrade on Weds morning here in Iowa! He is a good one.

paintbrush

GREAT TY!! Your going to have to fill us in on all the details of course!! Congrats!   :icon_thumright:

Muskie03

Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

blueribbon

Well I have hunted this bird for 3 years now. He would strut on the limb every morning then gobble his head off and fly down. I decided it was time to get aggressive with him and I set my decoys out about a 100 yards in front of his tree in the wide open. I was there at dark 30 and had a nice nap before i heard the first gobble of the morning. Only problem was it was not coming from his tree. More and more gobbles sounded off through the area but still none form the tree I was infront of. The sun kept rising and the birds got more vocal I had 6 different birds gobbling at one time. I looked in the tree where I expected to hear and see my bird and there were 3 hens it it that was all I saw. My heart sank man I had waited and timed this just right and now he was not home. I scanned every tree around and saw him no where. Then I noticed something on the bottom branch of the tree I thought he would be in originally and there he was in full strut on the branch. No need to gobbler when you spent the night with three ladies!! I guess!!! Well the hens flew down and the big boy went with them. I heard gobbles coming closer I look to the north and here come 5 long beards running right to me. I was watching this bird strut 200 yards from me and trying to decide if I should wait or take a sure thing. Three of the long beards stop and strut about 150 yards from me but these 2 keep coming at full bore. They were coming so fast that they ran through my set up and then stopped to try to figure out what just happened. They saw the other bird strutting and ran to him. to my surprise the ran the big bird out of the field!!! So I decide that if I can get one of the 2 to come back I will greet them in my favorite manner. I start calling to the hens and they are coming to my setup with the two birds following.They get to 50 yards and I figure it is as good as over all of a suddent they look dead at me and start strutting i had no clue why until i looked at the other end of the plum thicket i was sitting in and saw big boy strutting at 10 yards!!!! I decide to move to shoot him and the hens spot me. the other 2 birds break strut and start to leave. Big Boy breaks strut and starts to walk off. I slide down the tree trunk and send a swarm of angry fives through a small hole in the plum branches Big Boy hits the ground hard!!I had finally connected. THen I thought wait a minute what if it was not big boy I mean he did get run out of the field and I had no clue where this bird came from. I went to pick him up and saw it was my nemisis he had a great set of spurs and a good beard plus that good old midwest weight.

Muskie03

That's awesome Ty. Stud of a bird too. I have a saga quite similar to yours I hope to end this year also.
Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

ghillie

Very nice...keep em rolling gents!!  Congrats!!

paintbrush

Great read and GREAT bird TY!! Looks like you have a pretty darn good spot to hunt in. Once again, CONGRATS!!!

drenalinld

Awesome bird and story. Nothing like putting a tag on a bird you have hunted multiple Springs. Way to close the deal.

joshua

Thats what I'm talkin about.  Congrats.    :happy0064:
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.