turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

He slipped in close after his hens left

Started by catman529, April 12, 2019, 03:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catman529

Watched him strut around with hens in a field for a couple hours. I only called a few times throughout the morning. I stayed in a thick fence row that's wide enough to walk around in.

The final setup I had excellent cover and shade from all the privet and honeysuckle. I let out just a few yelps to let him know. He had 5 hens so it was up to them at this point.

Finally the birds started working my way. About 50 yards out the hens disappeared. The tom worked down the edge coming from my left, where it was too thick to shoot through. Instead of walking right in front of me, he dipped into the fence row I was set up in. It was too thick to see, but he finally showed up on the opposite side of the fence row only 15 yards away. He was easing down the edge of the next field, looking hard and going into half strut every couple steps. It was way too thick to shoot. I let him pass by going from right to left till he was out of sight.

About 10 minutes later, I decided to ease out and see which way he was headed down that field. I hadn't got up yet, I thought I'd heard something so I waited. Sure enough, I saw his head bobbing back my way from left to right. This time he came right into the thicket and stuck his head up giving me a clear 10 yard shot.

23 pound 10" beard 1 5/8" spurs Tennessee bird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

cwb04

Nice work Catman - look forward to the video!  HOOOOOOKS!!!

mmorgan9812

tomstopper

Very nice bird. Congrats man

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Yoteduster

Congrats that's a great bird and that dude has some awsum hooks on him

Cottonmouth

Congratulations on a fine bird. I hate field birds with a passion but can't help myself when I see one.

Ross R

saw it on IG.  Really nice hooks on that bird!

BrowningGuy88

Man what a bird!!!

Those hooks are awesome!

bbcoach

That is a MONSTER!  LIMBHANGER for sure.  Great hunt and even better PATIENCE to wait him out.  That bird is a mount candidate for sure.  He was the BOSS and now your the MAN for having the patience to set still until he made a mistake.  CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is a Prime example of Patience and Persistence killing a Boss Tom.  We should ALL take lessons.

catman529

Quote from: Cottonmouth on April 12, 2019, 03:24:18 PM
Congratulations on a fine bird. I hate field birds with a passion but can't help myself when I see one.
Haha same here. Just can't help it when he's out there blowed up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

yelpaholic

Walkerhuntfish

Fine bird man. Congrats. Them dang hooks almost long enough to be made into yelpers.  :icon_thumright:

jgard

nice bird.  really enjoy your videos...  Well done in letting him walk when you didnt have a clean shot.

Clydetaylor1

randy6471

Nice bird with some awesome hooks. Congrats!!