turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Gun advice for left handed hunter

Started by mnhunter2, April 10, 2019, 07:24:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnhunter2

We have a first time turkey hunter that shoots left handed and doesn't have a shotgun and was wondering if any of the right handed shotguns would work for him?

bbcoach

If it's a pump, probably not, but the safety might if it's located on the trigger guard.  If it's a semi it might depending on the ejection.  Since we normally only shoot one time (hopefully) he can probably adjust.  If you have a loaner, take him out with some dove loads and let him shoot a few and see what he thinks.

chcltlabz

Right handed guns won't matter and it doesn't depend on type.  Pump, semi, break opens, whatever.  Right handed safety on the trigger is a little more tricky and will require them to visually check it if they're used to a left handed safety, but as long as everyone pays close attention, it shouldn't be a big deal.

Bigger deal is if the guns stock has a cast off.  If you're not careful, the cant in the stock will throw your pattern left or right, especially if it doesn't have a middle bead.  I'd check point of aim and call it good.

I'm a leftie, and all my guns are right handed except one.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

vthokie7227

I also shoot lefty, but I use a right-handed pump. The right side shell ejection doesn't bother me at all. The ejection port is far enough away from my face that it's not really a big deal. I was able to switch the trigger guard safety from right-handed to left-handed though. That was a nice change. An easy option would be to find a shotgun with a top tang, like a Browning BPS or Mossberg.

KentuckyLB

Im left handed also, have shot nothing but right handed guns all my life.. no issues at all to worry with except safety as stated above.

turkeymanjim

Browning bps pump. Good for left hand shooters and right hand shooters because it ejects from the bottom of reciever. Also they r great patterning guns.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Gobble!

Quote from: KentuckyLB on April 10, 2019, 08:16:30 AM
Im left handed also, have shot nothing but right handed guns all my life.. no issues at all to worry with except safety as stated above.

x2. Maybe some year I'll treat myself to a left handed gun but I've never had an issue.

Tunaguy

I'm a lefty and shoot a Mossberg 835 for turkey. The safety tang is on top. I  can probably speak for all Southpaws and say we have learned to "deal with it". Been shooting right handed guns all my life.
" I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member." Groucho Marx

Mossyguy

I'm left handed...if I ever get to shoot a left handed gun I probably wouldn't know what to do!

kytrkyhntr

For left handed hunters without breaking the bank get a mossberg. Good price and the tang safety is user friendly. I've killed most of my turkeys with a mossberg 835. Think I paid 450 bucks for it. I love that gun. (I'm a lefty) I have recently just purchased my first lefty rifle and shotgun (benelli/savage) but I will always love the tang safety on the mossberg. That was designed by a turkey hunter no doubt in my opinion
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

runngun

I am also left handed as well. I have always just shot right handed rifles/shotgun. But the last several years I have acquired several shotguns that the safety can be reversed or replaced.  Ithaca, Browning Maxxus, Browning BPS with tang safety. And of course TC Encore. Browning Gold Light 10 gauge. 
I love them all but the Ithaca Turkey slayer is my favorite!

Have a good one
Ray

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Deafman

I'm a lefty and use a Browning BPS 12 gauge and a Mossberg 500 20 gauge. Both work great. The tang safety makes them very lefty friendly.

PaLmbHngr

I'm a lefty too. I use a right hand Remington 870 and bought a left handed safety trigger assembly off of the Remington web site for $60 or so on sale. Pop out two pins slide the old one out and replace with the new one. Took about 5 minutes to convert. Works great.

runngun

Yep I just learned that they're offering left handed safeties for Remington, I have a couple that I am going to convert!

Have a good one
Ray

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Kytomgetter

I'm a righty but have always shot long guns lefty, don't know why but it just feels comfortable to me. I've never had an issue with any type gun being right handed. All my long guns are righty and will always be.