turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Gave one of my decoys a minor paint job

Started by Big Jeremy, April 09, 2019, 09:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Jeremy

Decided to give one of my Jakes a little face lift, mainly to give it more of a white head. I'm no professional, but I'm ok with how it turned out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clydetaylor1

yelpy

What's the reason for white? It does look fine..

Big Jeremy

Less intimidating, is the thought. I've read of others trying it with success. I can always remove it if I don't seem to be liking results.

bbcoach

Here's a good read  http://bestturkeydecoy.com/body-language/  It talks about posture and head color.  It conflicts with what MKMGOBL says.  He uses white heads on his dekes and has great results.  I'm thinking of giving the white a go to see what happens as well.  Maybe MKMGOBL will see this and chime in.

SinGin

Quote from: Big Jeremy on April 09, 2019, 11:06:09 PM
Less intimidating, is the thought. I've read of others trying it with success. I can always remove it if I don't seem to be liking results.

Looks very submissive with the white head

dublelung

Gen.27:3

Gen 27:3  Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me,

dirt road ninja

Bright white = stud bird (or at least in his mind).

larry9988

Love to see that white cap coming through the woods early in the morning, but it's when a gobbler is strutting up to me and is lit up and coming to my calls, not being submissive.

Kytomgetter

Big Jeremy

I'm getting conflicting reports here. I look forward to the woods helping me determine my final thoughts. I'll update when I have a chance to use it. I don't use decoys that often, anyway.

Chris O

I am interested to hear about your results!! Good luck.

bbcoach

Quote from: Big Jeremy on April 11, 2019, 11:08:57 PM
I'm getting conflicting reports here. I look forward to the woods helping me determine my final thoughts. I'll update when I have a chance to use it. I don't use decoys that often, anyway.

Jeremy, not trying to confuse you at all.  I had heard white was aggressive, so my Avian 1/4 Strut Jake sported a mostly red head.  If you look at many decoys, they are painted mostly red as well (check out Dave Smith's).  MKMGOBL has got me thinking about white so last night I repainted my jake mostly white as well.  I'm going to give white a try and see if I can get some attacks.  My personal opinion, I believe a lot of factors play into decoy success/failure.  Time of the season, body posture, color, positioning just to name a few.  It's a tool I'll keep experimenting with and see what works for me as well. 

Big Jeremy

Quote from: bbcoach on April 12, 2019, 07:24:52 AM
Quote from: Big Jeremy on April 11, 2019, 11:08:57 PM

Jeremy, not trying to confuse you at all.  I had heard white was aggressive, so my Avian 1/4 Strut Jake sported a mostly red head.  If you look at many decoys, they are painted mostly red as well (check out Dave Smith's).  MKMGOBL has got me thinking about white so last night I repainted my jake mostly white as well.  I'm going to give white a try and see if I can get some attacks.  My personal opinion, I believe a lot of factors play into decoy success/failure.  Time of the season, body posture, color, positioning just to name a few.  It's a tool I'll keep experimenting with and see what works for me as well.

DSD has a white head line out now, too. Certainly can't hurt to try.