OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Not A Success Story

Started by The Southpaw, April 08, 2019, 06:38:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Southpaw

My buddy and I just got back from a three day trip to Northeast Tennessee, where we hunted National Forest. The hunting was extremely tough, as we only heard one gobble on public. We walked 16 miles in total, running and gunning, as well as stationary calling. The only action that we were able to strike up were two separate black bear sightings, which really is not that exciting, as we see them all of the time in WV. After spending a few days in the area that we did, both of us agreed that it did not seem like there were many turkeys on the public ground, as we found very little sign. It seems like the birds were in lower elevations, on the private ground. All of the public that we hunted was rugged mountain ground, which we knew was not idea, but that was pretty much all we had to work with. This trip was certainly a humbling experience, as we have had success in a few different states in the past years, but have never been whipped like this before. Has anyone else had experiences like this?

Wigsplitter

It's good to hear a sincere report especially when it doesn't turn out as hoped!! I think these kinda trips happen more than gets told! Thanks for the report!!

kytrkyhntr

I had a very similar trip to Alabama about two weeks ago. I wish I had about 3 more days there. I felt like I could have maybe got lucky had I had a few more days. Similar terrain as you described. I'm hoping to go back next year. Be st of luck to you the rest of the season.
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

bear hunter

I live close to tn line and hunt same area you hunted. It is like you said very tough hunting with few birds.

G squared 23

Can't kill 'em if they ain't there.   Nothing to be ashamed of or frustrated about.

Magdump

Brother, i had almost the exact same thing happen trying to cross PA off the list last Spring.  I hit some State Game Lands near Harrisburg hard.  Way up on mountains.  No birds present.  They were all in the lowlands on private.

After that spanking i decided that my precious vacation days deserve better.  Ill never get all the states at this rate so when i have to, i shell out $ for access to private with birds around.

Harty

Turkey hunting sure can be challenging and humbling. It has been for me at times. ItmaKes it all the more rewarding when one finally scores

Ctrize

Hunted Oklahoma and all the birds were still in winter flocks on private. At least I heard some gobbling. Went to Florida for a week and didn't hear a gobble and that was on a quota hunt with less pressure. Sometimes you walk away knowing the effort you gave has to be enough.

GobbleNut

Yup,...been there, done that.  Three of us hunted for a week four years ago on several WMA's in central TN.  Exact same situation you describe.  Very few vocal gobblers and little sign to indicate they were around.  The birds we did find usually had hunters on them already.  It was like being in turkey hunter's hell,...miles and miles and miles of great looking country that appeared to be completely void of any birds. Definitely something wrong going on there in terms of turkey management,...at least on the public ground we hunted. 

Plush

Well I always tell myself it isn't hunting if you aren't failing and having occasional tag soup. Sometimes the game just falls into your lap and other times you feel like you could go to the store and still fail to find meat.

turkey_slayer

What counties? If you're in the extreme part like Sullivan and Johnson yeah it plumb sucks. What was once a turkey Mecca is now a ghost town. Last year was even worse as I only saw 1 small group that had 1 longbeard on private and heard 1 on public the entire season. This year the public isn't any better but have seen several on private

The Southpaw

Quote from: turkey_slayer on April 09, 2019, 11:00:32 AM
What counties? If you're in the extreme part like Sullivan and Johnson yeah it plumb sucks. What was once a turkey Mecca is now a ghost town. Last year was even worse as I only saw 1 small group that had 1 longbeard on private and heard 1 on public the entire season. This year the public isn't any better but have seen several on private
We hunted Johnson and Sullivan. You're right about it being garbage. I will gladly give anyone my gps coordinates for those areas.

turkey_slayer

Quote from: The Southpaw on April 09, 2019, 08:32:58 PM
Quote from: turkey_slayer on April 09, 2019, 11:00:32 AM
We hunted Johnson and Sullivan. You're right about it being garbage. I will gladly give anyone my gps coordinates for those areas.

Hate it y'all had a bad trip. Talked to another out of stater the other day and they were pretty disappointed as well. There use to be a lot of birds but it has really plummeted in the last 5-7 years. Late 90s and early 00s were amazing.

The Southpaw

Quote from: Plush on April 09, 2019, 08:19:15 AM
Well I always tell myself it isn't hunting if you aren't failing and having occasional tag soup. Sometimes the game just falls into your lap and other times you feel like you could go to the store and still fail to find meat.
I agree 100 percent.

Trax

About 120 longbeards harvested from those two counties so far just this season. That's really pretty good.
I think may have been a bit early for the birds at high elevations to really be in the swing of things, but I wouldn't say they're absent.

Come back and give it another try. Maybe a bit later. Sorry it wasn't a success but heck, beats working.