turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Need's Another Year!

Started by guesswho, April 08, 2019, 03:33:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

I checked my game-cam on my property Sunday.  I kind of wished I hadn't.  I decided before the season I wasn't going to kill one on my place this year.  Dude on the right is making me rethink that decision.  He's at least a triple beard and probably more.  Usually when they're stacked that high from the main beard there are several.   I'm trying to convince myself to take the trophy deer hunting mentality and say he will be a good'un  next year.  I have no problem leaving deer alone.  But I'll be honest, it's a struggle with turkeys.

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

tomstopper

Better man than me....

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Big Jeremy

Naw, he needs to die. Might not make it through another winter. Might get taken just off of your property by someone else. Whatever it is that you need to tell yourself to go kill him.

Muzzy61

Quote from: tomstopper on April 08, 2019, 03:35:27 PM
Better man than me....

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

^^^^^
This
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

LaLongbeard

It be hard not to hunt that Gobbler, hope he does make it till next year.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Ozarks Hillbilly

Ronnie, the Dude on the right is a heck of a double beard for sure but judging by his spurs only appears to be a 2 maybe 3 year old. He is a stud this year for sure but just think of what he could be next year or the year after. With another year or two he could really blow up into a real longbird the possibilities are endless. Or if you get a chance at him this season you could have him pecking you in the butt all the way back to the truck before a bobcat takes him out in his sleep or someone or a number of other things. I can see this decision may cause you several sleepless nights in the near future. Good luck my friend I am glad I am not in your possession.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

zelmo1

Kytomgetter

Must be nice to have to decide not to take one on your own land. Good thing he's not on my land he'd be down.

aclawrence

I think you should wait until you can see the sun glistening off the razor sharp points of those hooks then he'll be ready for a truck ride! Give home two more years. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SinGin

I'll come hunt him if you don't want to. Just trying to help a pal out.

bear hunter

J-Shaped

Well if you're going to "lettum go so they can grow" you have to come up with a corny name for him, like all the TV "pros", and then add him to your "Hit List". Lol  ;D

Given your sense of humor, I just want to see all of the creative names you can come up with!

HookedonHooks

I think there's a fourth decent beard up under the main...

Can't tell from the pics so you'll have to kill him to confirm.

Spitten and drummen

Bust his beak. No garentee's that he will even be around next year. If he is a longbeard , he gets no pass from me unless I dont call him up.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

randy6471

That's a really nice bird and I understand where you are coming from....as I also hunt/manage my own land. We are pretty selective with the deer, but honestly the only criteria that I have for a gobbler is that it's a mature bird.

Tough to tell for sure, but I think that Ozarks Hillbilly is right on with age estimate, so who knows what another year might do.....if he makes it.

Unfortunately whichever way you go, you will probably second guess yourself. Good luck.