OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Need waterproof boot help?!

Started by RiverRoost, April 07, 2019, 10:08:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roberthyman14

I've got some Irish setter snake boots.  They leak after 4 seasons of heavy use.  I clean them with a brush and hose.  Once dry I spray them heavy with sno seal and other like stuff.  Keeps my feet dry for a few months then once I get damp again I repeat the process

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

idratherb

RiverRoost

Anybody ever had any luck with Chippewa snake boots?

Matty43

I use a silicone waterproofing spray that is made for your boots. I spray them at the beginning of the season and they're good to go all hunting season

RiverRoost

tree-rat sniper

Quote from: RiverRoost on April 07, 2019, 05:46:44 PM
Quote from: Dtrkyman on April 07, 2019, 04:54:08 PM
I saw somewhere that a guy thinned our silicone sealant with thinner and brushed it on his boots.

Rokslide probably

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That actually may not be a bad idea. Has anybody ever had any luck with the spray on type water repellant stuff?

I've been nursing my old lightweight LaCrosse boots for years with silicone water guard spray.  You can pick it up in the camping section of the local walmart.  It works well but I re-apply several times a season.  :z-twocents:
NRA Life Member/Pistol Instructor, NWTF, SCI (former DU, VHA & HHI).  Non Gratum Anus Rodentum!

turkaholic

Been a Danner Ponghorn guy for many many years, now that they are made in Vietnam they get soaked in dew and suck. I get maybe one season then they leak. I have about 5 pairs that look great still but resemble a colander when worn in wet conditions. I bring extra boots in the truck so I can change after the first spot. Gortex lining is junk. Anyone use any type or Waterproof socks?
live to hunt hunt to live

tree-rat sniper

Correction: The stuff I use is called SOFSOLE water proofer, purchased at the local Theisens, it should be available at your local farm supply stores (looks like Cabelas & walmart too). The other walmart stuff was used for a tent...sorry!
NRA Life Member/Pistol Instructor, NWTF, SCI (former DU, VHA & HHI).  Non Gratum Anus Rodentum!

grayfox

I'm still using a pair of Cabela's cordura uninsulated snake proof boots that's 6 years old & still keep my feet dry. I don't know if they still sell them though. I know they have to be getting close to being retired.

hootgobbleyelpgobble

Feel ya man. I fought that issue for a while and finally went the rubber boot route. Haven't regretted it yet and don't think I ever will.

Snake boots: Lacrosse 4xalpha

Every day use rubber boots: Lacrosse Grange

chufagold

my buddy just bought a new 700 dollar pair of Russell boots. went through some ankle deep water and both of his feet were soaking wet for the rest of the day. Says their very comfortable though haha!

Gobble!

Lacrosse Grange. Probably have 50 miles on mine with no complaints.

TauntoHawk

I have 5 pairs of lace up boots waiting at my door today trying to find a match for a new turkey boot.

My Criteria was a modestly light leather boot, uninstalled, waterproof, just above ankle fit, high mileage comfort, handle moderately technical terrain.

My fit is narrow ankle, wide forefoot

what i have to try on

- Crispi Nevada
- Crispi Valdres
- Danner Crag Rat
- Under Armour Bozman 2.0
- Cableas Rimrock Hiker
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

SinGin

Quote from: RiverRoost on April 07, 2019, 05:46:44 PM
Quote from: Dtrkyman on April 07, 2019, 04:54:08 PM
I saw somewhere that a guy thinned our silicone sealant with thinner and brushed it on his boots.

Rokslide probably

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That actually may not be a bad idea. Has anybody ever had any luck with the spray on type water

repellant stuff?

I used the rustoleum kind and it worked well. Does make your boots a whitish color when done. I was looking for them this year and the wife thought they were junk boots and tossed them in the trash