OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Need waterproof boot help?!

Started by RiverRoost, April 07, 2019, 10:08:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

I love to turkey hunt in  my lace up Rocky ProLight Snake boots but they absolutely SUCK when it comes to being waterproof. Just bought another pair last January and by the end of the 2018 season they already leak. I'm taking about leak so bad that walking through morning dew gets you a soaked sock. I like the lace up but that may not work anymore.  What do y'all like for waterproof boots and comfort?   Or is there anything I can spray or coat the Rocky's in to make them waterproof

Tom Foolery

I gave up on snake boots and went to wire mesh gaiters over good comfortable waterproof boots.

I have a pair of Danner pronghorns that are 12yrs old and still waterproof.   I bought a new pair to replace these and they aren't made the same so I'll be on the hunt for new boots at the end of season.

RiverRoost

I understand the gator idea but I want to be able to walk through some shin deep water if need to

nyhunter

If it's warm I wear Lacrosse Alpha burly pro non insulated, or Lacrosse Grange boots,     

Tail Feathers

I'm on season four with my Irish Setter Vapor Trek boots.  They were still waterproof last month walking through ankle deep puddles in FL.
These aren't snake boots but they make the lightest snake boot out there and if they are as good as these, they are worth the money.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

gaswamp

buy u a pair of Crispis.....u won't regret it

RiverRoost

I'd like to have something over the calf like snake boots. Were I primarily hunt we have plenty of rattlesnakes, cottonmouths and copperheads.

Dtrkyman

I saw somewhere that a guy thinned our silicone sealant with thinner and brushed it on his boots.

Rokslide probably

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swampdog

I've been wearing LL Bean rubber bottoms with laces. They're definitely water proof. I use a pair of snake chaps when it gets snaky warm and feel very prepared. The boots themselves are very comfortable. I've been using this combination for over 30 years - no reason to change. All the waterproof snake boots I tried along the way leaked in a short period of time.

RiverRoost

Quote from: Dtrkyman on April 07, 2019, 04:54:08 PM
I saw somewhere that a guy thinned our silicone sealant with thinner and brushed it on his boots.

Rokslide probably

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That actually may not be a bad idea. Has anybody ever had any luck with the spray on type water repellant stuff?

spaightlabs

Danner Sharptail snake boots.  Leather and goretex.  Side zips so you aren't jacking with laces for 10 minutes in the morning.  2 thumbs up.

Crghss

Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

J-Shaped

Quote from: RiverRoost on April 07, 2019, 10:52:45 AM
I understand the gator idea but I want to be able to walk through some shin deep water if need to

Lacrosse knee boots of your choice with a snake gaiter over them would work for that. I've been in the same boat for years dealing with leaky snake boots. I finally found some Lacrosse rubber snake boots about 5 years ago that logged a lot of miles and kept me dry, but they finally bit the dust too. Been alternating between a couple of variations of Lacrosse Burlys and leather bird boots with Turtleskin gaiters this year, and so far so good. Nice thing with the gaiters is I can wear them with anything I want based on where I'm hunting that particular day.

mduncan

Loved the fit & feel of the Rocky's but I gave up on them a few years ago for this very reason, couldn't get more than a season out of the waterproofing.  For the last 3 or 4 seasons I've been wearing Lacrosse Alpha Burly Sports but my feet sweat really bad in these even though they're not insulated. This season, I decided to give the Irish Setter Vaprtrek a try. I sure hope the waterproofing last more than a season on these. Season starts Saturday so we'll see.

jshark14

I have the Lacrosse Venom. Same problem with those. Leaking with dew only one year out. Anybody have a pair of Russell snake boots they could comment on?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk