turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I'd rather be luckey than good

Started by FANMAN, May 01, 2011, 02:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FANMAN

2001 was wet,it was tough,but  managed to get a nice longbeard in spite of it all. Not hearing any birds on the property I hunt,I received permission to hunt some ground about a 1/2 hour north.I got a drive by tour one afternoon.soooo the next morning in the dark I stumble in...Set up on a ridge at the end of a cornfield,and GOBBLE...not just one but 5 gobbling bids less then 75 yds. from me......Sheer luck...A little tree call later and they were on the ground15 feet behind me...They walked to my right when they entered the field,started acting like they felt the bugger..softly putting.Being right handed I was not gonna risk the big move to shoot...so I let em walk away putting softly..Went back the next day and set up facing the ridge and killed a nice bird.22 lbs.  1" spurs 9 1/2 " beard..I'll take some of that luck stuff anyday.                     

paintbrush

Congrats on taking a fine bird!   :icon_thumright:

strutnva

barry

You did good resisting that awkward right side - right handed shot.
Congrats on your patience!

JVA54

Hognutz

Very nice gobbler. So. Was it this year or 10 years ago? I'm assumming that the 2001 was a typo..Well done..Mike :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

busta biggun

Doesn't sound like luck to me. Sounds like the virtuous patience of a seasoned hunter! Way to go Big Mike!

Ray.

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

WyoHunter

Congrats! Nice gobbler no matter whether it was 2001 or 2011!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

harvester

cannonball

Ky strutt n bust n

way to go. i agree. no luck there but just pure hunting knowledge and logic. not pushing that shot is a tough decision. you took the patience and went with it and it paid off. not many folks would have waited for a better oppurtunity at them. congrats!

bowhunter84

FANMAN

Thanks fellas...yes it was a typo,that bird was killed two weeks ago,The only thing I remember about 2001 was I was 50 lbs. lighter and a lot better looking   ;D

Basser69

Congrats!  :you_rock: I feel your pain on the 50 lbs. lighter and better looking  :help: