OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bow hunting, without blind

Started by High plains drifter, April 02, 2019, 11:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

High plains drifter

I want to bow hunt, but I don't want to hassle with a blind.What are my chances? I think I can hunker down , an d get a shot somehow.

neal

Yep you sure can. Watched several guys do it including myself in Nebraska last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

BigSlam51

I've killed a couple without a blind. I hunt mostly in the timber and like to position myself to where there are a few good size trees in between me and where the turkeys will be coming from, that way you can draw when the gobbler walks behind one. Here is a pic of a blow down I hide behind at one of my spots and killed my biggest bird sitting behind it. Shot right through the gap in the limbs.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Plush

Now this guy wasn't hunting turkeys (deer), but what this guy did (on YouTube) is put his draw weight really really low so he could hold his bow full draw for a long time. He shot the deer so close he didn't really need the power of 70+ pounds draw weight. Because really that is the real challenge to bowhunting without much cover...drawing. The other key would probably be getting on a ridge top where it will show up already in range. Add those things together and really not having a blind isn't a big deal.

BigSlam51

I'll second the ridge. If you got one that's roosted in a bottom, set up on the ridge and call him up. Once he crests the hill you're already drawn and he's in range.
Quote from: Plush on April 02, 2019, 12:17:32 PM
Now this guy wasn't hunting turkeys (deer), but what this guy did (on YouTube) is put his draw weight really really low so he could hold his bow full draw for a long time. He shot the deer so close he didn't really need the power of 70+ pounds draw weight. Because really that is the real challenge to bowhunting without much cover...drawing. The other key would probably be getting on a ridge top where it will show up already in range. Add those things together and really not having a blind isn't a big deal.

fallhnt

In the right situation no problem.  Lots of birds or lack of cover can make it tough. Late Spring or early Fall are prime times. Some spots I hunt are only fields.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

High plains drifter

Quote from: BigSlam51 on April 02, 2019, 11:42:02 AM
I've killed a couple without a blind. I hunt mostly in the timber and like to position myself to where there are a few good size trees in between me and where the turkeys will be coming from, that way you can draw when the gobbler walks behind one. Here is a pic of a blow down I hide behind at one of my spots and killed my biggest bird sitting behind it. Shot right through the gap in the limbs.
That is a very nice spot. Well done.I found a strutting area last year, an d I think I can get a bow shot, but I'm not sure.

Tomfoolery

Just get yourself some HECS and walk right up to em.  :fud:

limbhanger777

It definitely can be done and has been done plenty of times. I use some camo leafy cutout camo fabric I bought at Walmart to put out in front of me to try to prevent them picking up the movement from be drawing. I have yet to actually put it to the test but I'm hoping it'll work

CAPTJJ

Yes, it can be done. I like a leafy suit and find or make hiding spots with whatever I can find/use in the woods. Notice my bow isn't even camouflaged, doesn't really matter, if you move they will see you either way. It's much more exciting and easier to move around and you can go farther to find birds.

model94

Ameristep Throw down Blind. Under two pounds and goes up and down in seconds.

BigSlam51

Made this one yesterday. Heading out now to build another. I like to strategically build natural blinds throughout properties.

BigSlam51

Another natural blind I built today

husker

I love to bowhunt Turkey more than anything,  It's not easy to take a bird with a bow.  Can't imagine doing so without a blind. Tip o' the hat to anyone that does it.  That's a feat!

High plains drifter

Quote from: BigSlam51 on April 02, 2019, 11:42:02 AM
I've killed a couple without a blind. I hunt mostly in the timber and like to position myself to where there are a few good size trees in between me and where the turkeys will be coming from, that way you can draw when the gobbler walks behind one. Here is a pic of a blow down I hide behind at one of my spots and killed my biggest bird sitting behind it. Shot right through the gap in the limbs. I like to hunt in open country, with some trees in the edge of grain fields.I for one last year, in a field, above a deep coulee.I think I can get a bow shot, from the edge of the trees, but I have not much experience with a bow.