OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Longbird post 2019 (THP inspired)

Started by djrcm7, April 01, 2019, 08:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bghunter777

49" will be real tough to beat congrats on your first bird. Don't let shooting 45/46s in future years get you down.

catman529

My last bird was only 46"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

shock_gobble

Quote from: bghunter777 on April 16, 2019, 09:45:49 AM
49" will be real tough to beat congrats on your first bird. Don't let shooting 45/46s in future years get you down.

It will be tough to beat. I had to measure a couple times to make sure my eyes weren't deceived! Beginners Longbird luck i guess.

Kansan

Way to go! I've killed many a turkey, and bow hunted for them several times, and I STILL haven't got one with a bow. That's quite an accomplishment, especially for your first bird!

shock_gobble

Quote from: Kansan on April 16, 2019, 05:43:08 PM
Way to go! I've killed many a turkey, and bow hunted for them several times, and I STILL haven't got one with a bow. That's quite an accomplishment, especially for your first bird!
I've been getting that response a lot. Thank you!

I decided in December that this was the year I finally stop "thinking" about getting in to hunting and actually commit to it. Since then I've spent countless hours, really an embarrassing amount, ingesting every stitch of information, particularly related to public land hunting, that I could find. I learned a tremendous amount from THP and Pinhoti. I also learned that some experienced hunters are too quick to tell begginers what they can and can't do in the woods (ie. The standard response I received when telling fellow hunters my plan to take my first ever game animal, and a Turkey at that, with a bow, was that I should maybe try something a bit less challenging because that's a bar too high). I found that motivating more than informational.

All that studying helped I'm sure, but ultimatly what it came down to is answered prayer. The process of preparring for turkey season brought me more consistently close to God than really anything in my life prior. Being in the woods elicits greater amounts of gratitude and appreciation in me for the Lords creation and frequently becomes an opportunity to spend time in prayer and reflection (Not something I find I'm drawn to in my daily life too often). I whole heartedly believe that turkey, and the crew of jakes following him that morning, were sent my direction as an answer to a prayer. Trivial or serious, our Father is a giver of good gifts. And the expierience I enjoyed Saturday morning with my eldest son was nothing short of good.

TLDR: Credit to God.

Kansan

Quote from: shock_gobble on April 17, 2019, 11:53:03 AM
Quote from: Kansan on April 16, 2019, 05:43:08 PM
I've been getting that response a lot. Thank you!

I decided in December that this was the year I finally stop "thinking" about getting in to hunting and actually commit to it. Since then I've spent countless hours, really an embarrassing amount, ingesting every stitch of information, particularly related to public land hunting, that I could find. I learned a tremendous amount from THP and Pinhoti. I also learned that some experienced hunters are too quick to tell begginers what they can and can't do in the woods (ie. The standard response I received when telling fellow hunters my plan to take my first ever game animal, and a Turkey at that, with a bow, was that I should maybe try something a bit less challenging because that's a bar too high). I found that motivating more than informational.

All that studying helped I'm sure, but ultimatly what it came down to is answered prayer. The process of preparring for turkey season brought me more consistently close to God than really anything in my life prior. Being in the woods elicits greater amounts of gratitude and appreciation in me for the Lords creation and frequently becomes an opportunity to spend time in prayer and reflection (Not something I find I'm drawn to in my daily life too often). I whole heartedly believe that turkey, and the crew of jakes following him that morning, were sent my direction as an answer to a prayer. Trivial or serious, our Father is a giver of good gifts. And the expierience I enjoyed Saturday morning with my eldest son was nothing short of good.

TLDR: Credit to God.
Amen! I assume you're a Kansas resident? If so, IMO, you are in one of the very best states to be a hunter. So you picked a good hobby to take up, lol.

Big Jeremy

I shot a shorty yesterday...43.5". Had just as much fun dancing with him as any other turkey I've killed!

djrcm7

@shock-gobble congrats on a great bird, a great hunt, and a great start to your hunting career!
You're spot on with the description of hunting and how it brings you closer to God. I have that experience every time I'm in the woods! 49" is a heck of a start! Tough one to beat.

THP is such a great resource for public land hunting and a true representation. They really do seem like good, down to earth people.
Enjoy the rest of your season!
Med student from MO

roberthyman14

Mine Tuesday morning was only 43.5

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

shock_gobble

Quote from: djrcm7 on April 17, 2019, 08:15:36 PM
@shock-gobble congrats on a great bird, a great hunt, and a great start to your hunting career!
You're spot on with the description of hunting and how it brings you closer to God. I have that experience every time I'm in the woods! 49" is a heck of a start! Tough one to beat.

THP is such a great resource for public land hunting and a true representation. They really do seem like good, down to earth people.
Enjoy the rest of your season!
Thank you! I have a feeling I will enjoy every minute of it. Currently studying my OnX wishing it were Friday night not Wednesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Southpaw

I love the reason that they started the "Longbird" idea. I'll probably never measure one, but it certainly makes me chuckle at the guys that still think beard length is the most important thing about a turkey.

bghunter777

The quest for 50" continues tomorrow in Kentucky. I'll be after them for the next 8 days in Kentucky and Ohio possibly PA for a day.

jryser

Quote from: catman529 on April 16, 2019, 12:59:05 PM

Mine was 49". And a paintbrush to boot! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shock_gobble

Quote from: jryser on April 19, 2019, 09:32:16 PM
Quote from: catman529 on April 16, 2019, 12:59:05 PM

Mine was 49". And a paintbrush to boot!