OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Longbird post 2019 (THP inspired)

Started by djrcm7, April 01, 2019, 08:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djrcm7

For those of you that watch The Hunting Public, you'll be familiar with the idea. For those that don't, this could be interesting. Measure your gobbler from the tip of his snood to the tip of his longest tail feather and post a picture here! I'm curious to see what the longest bird will be of 2019. Our longest last year was 49.5" eastern killed in north east Missouri on public land. Let's see em!
Med student from MO

jryser

That actually came from when the fellas were working with Midwest Whitetail, and a nameless sponsor had come to hunt with Winke and crew - kept saying LONGBIRD instead of longBEARD. FUNNIEST danged thing I had ever heard!!!  "Longbird" became a thing once Zach got ahold of it bc we all know how crazy funny Zach is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gobble!

Don't some measure the width of the tail fan or count the tail feathers?

j.goebel

Haha I think what they came up with for measuring lengths is funny can't wait to shoot a long bird this year.
Justin Goebel

djrcm7

Quote from: jryser on April 01, 2019, 08:40:08 PM
That actually came from when the fellas were working with Midwest Whitetail, and a nameless sponsor had come to hunt with Winke and crew - kept saying LONGBIRD instead of longBEARD. FUNNIEST danged thing I had ever heard!!!  "Longbird" became a thing once Zach got ahold of it bc we all know how crazy funny Zach is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't know that! Zach is hilarious. Can't wait to watch the new episode tonight.
Med student from MO

a_jabbo

Haha great post. I'd be interested in seeing the longest bird of 2019.

bghunter777

tagged the THP guys are great shed light on how stupid people thinking a turkey with a 10.5 inch beard is superior to one with a 10.25 inch beard. Just get out and hunt I'm personally hoping to eclipse the 50 inch mark this year in Kentucky.

djrcm7

50" is also my goal! I'd say a 50"Er is a big bird!
Med student from MO

Kansan

The Hunting Public is without a doubt the best hunting show of all time. Period.

I'm going to measure all of my birds this year, anxious to see how they compare with everyone else's.

#Longbird

dejake

bghunter777

Had a real nice 3 year old come in last week of the season last year estimated him around 48.5" figured that late in the season he should be safe with a mild winter and good forage I wanted to hold out and see if I can get him to 50" this year as a 4 year old. I will be in his core area opening morning this year in KY have 3 years of wing feather sheds from his strut zone and over 1250 trail cam photos of his transition from roost to feed.

soILstrutter

Quote from: bghunter777 on April 05, 2019, 11:44:40 AM
Had a real nice 3 year old come in last week of the season last year estimated him around 48.5" figured that late in the season he should be safe with a mild winter and good forage I wanted to hold out and see if I can get him to 50" this year as a 4 year old. I will be in his core area opening morning this year in KY have 3 years of wing feather sheds from his strut zone and over 1250 trail cam photos of his transition from roost to feed.

Best thing I've read in a long time  :TooFunny:

tomstopper

Quote from: bghunter777 on April 05, 2019, 11:44:40 AM
Lol

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

shock_gobble

My first turkey ever. Got him Saturday morning with my PSE on Kansas public land. Big boy came in at 49 in. Safe to say I'm HOOKED! Can't wait to get back out this coming weekend!

tomstopper

Congrats on your first bird

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk