News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What's your favorite turkey subspecies?

Started by Owl, March 29, 2019, 05:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merriamsman

roverboy

All I've ever hunted is Easterns, so that would be it. I've got my eye on Osceolas though.
Listen for the gobble

SD_smith

Merriam...South Dakota Merriams specifically

Jcfd142

GobbleNut

I suspect most all of us hunt somewhere that we have a nostalgic connection to and we hunt for a single subspecies there.  Such is the case for me, at least.  I grew up hunting high-mountain Merriam's gobblers here in New Mexico and they will always be my favorite for a variety of reasons. 

However, if I was to eliminate them from the equation, I would say my second choice would be Eastern's.

Quite honestly, all of the subspecies have their positive attributes,...IF I get to hunt them under the right conditions.  Give me a few gobblers that will gobble occasionally,...and in a location where I can apply my preferred hunting tactics,...and where I can get away from other hunters to a degree,...and I am a happy turkey hunter regardless of subspecies.     

Ctrize

Jstocks

Hard headed hard hunted Easterns being the most satisfaction from a successful hunt. I'm from south Ms, live in LA, but my favorite places to hunt them is the Ozarks and the Appalachian Foothills in Tn.

Dark Whiskey

RIO GRANDE MAN

The Rio Grande, hands down.  Followed by the Merriam's.

land cruiser

I do not discriminate based on subspecies

tal

Sun light dappling down through the leaves of a mixed hardwood ridge with an eastern bird sounding off...

SinGin

Rio 's for me. I've seen them do stupid stuff our Mo Easterns wouldn't even think of doing.

bigbird

Do I have to pick lol?  It's a toss up between an eastern or a rio.