OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Chiggers

Started by Southerngobbler, March 29, 2019, 02:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbbow

Like these lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteelerFan

^^^^ That's what the nice ones look like!

Gobbler428

If you really want a good dose of chiggers, just sit down in pine straw right after a good rain. They love wet pine straw.

spaightlabs

Quote from: daddyduke on March 29, 2019, 04:10:00 PM
I thought I had got into a bunch of chiggers, turned out to be lonestar tick larve. That's how I became allergic to all red meat. Over 4 years ago.

Man, I'm sorry to hear that.

Without a doubt I would be dead if I couldn't eat red meat.

LaLongbeard

Permethrin works as well on chiggers as ticks. They are horrible in the summer here but a dose of permethrin and never a bite
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Gooserbat

I don't know everything about them but I've had a lot of experience with them.  Worst little things I know of.

A method of treatment that works well and is affordable is to take a regular 16 oz sized bottle of the green menthol rubbing alcohol.  Then take 50 ( yes 50) regular 325 mg plain aspirin and dissolve in the alcohol.  Rub it on the bites. 

Same concoction works on poison ivy, tick bites, and chiggers.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Cut N Run

They look just like miniature ticks.  I hate 'em.  I'm a chigger magnet too.  About 30 years ago, I walked the edges of an over-grown airstrip and got over 250 bites on each leg. They especially like to gather at leg and waistbands of underwear.

Like LaLongbeard said, Permethrin works.  It not only repels them, it kills them.  I carry a roll of paper towels and a bottle of rubbing alcohol in the truck in case I get into some chiggers. If you can wipe your legs down with alcohol before they bite, it kills them and gets them off you in a hurry.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Sasha and Abby

PREVENTION is the best medicine -permethian or OFF spray to ward them off.  For you hardheads that get tore up, Tea Tree Oil is the ONLY thing I have ever found that will mitigate a bite from a 20 day ordeal down to a 2 day bother...

Clydetaylor1

Quote from: sbbow on April 06, 2019, 10:55:44 AM
Like these lol

That looks about right.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roberthyman14

Quote from: Gobbler428 on April 06, 2019, 06:38:16 PM
If you really want a good dose of chiggers, just sit down in pine straw right after a good rain. They love wet pine straw.
Almost as bad as moss in oaks trees here in the south

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Cottonmouth

Believe it or not I've never been bitten by them. I'm in central MS and when we were kids, we would pick blackberries in the summer and my brother would get hammered by them. I must have some bad blood or something they don't like. Whatever it is, I'm glad I got it.

bbcoach

Quote from: Cottonmouth on April 09, 2019, 04:58:22 PM
Believe it or not I've never been bitten by them. I'm in central MS and when we were kids, we would pick blackberries in the summer and my brother would get hammered by them. I must have some bad blood or something they don't like. Whatever it is, I'm glad I got it.
I hope you never get them but you know what happens when you say NEVER.

Cottonmouth

Quote from: bbcoach on April 09, 2019, 08:06:48 PM
Quote from: Cottonmouth on April 09, 2019, 04:58:22 PM
I hope you never get them but you know what happens when you say NEVER.
Yeah I'm probably asking for it.

DumpTruckTurkey

Quote from: bbcoach on March 29, 2019, 02:57:23 PM
Never seen them but they make you very uncomfortable for a week or two.  Permethrin on your clothes will keep you from getting those nasty red bites.  They are chiggers and in some parts of the country they are called No See Em's, so they must be very small.

Chiggers are horrible, my gf got them for the 1st time last year and was freaking out about to go to the doc lol.

NoSeeUms are flying mosqiuoto like biting bugs that kind of hurt and itch... they are clear/orange color and while the also are horrible, they are nothing compared to chiggers.

Tunaguy

Last year I had bites that lasted over a month. I hate em'!
" I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member." Groucho Marx