OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Stevens model 301 .410 questions

Started by adkmountainken, March 23, 2019, 03:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adkmountainken

I just picked up a Stevens model 301 in .410 yes I know it throws unreal patterns with tss and i'm not looking to open a can of worms. what i'm wondering is if anyone has tried regular lead in it and how it performs? my personal hunting style is I will not shoot over 30 yards no matter how well a gun patterns I just will not risk it, my personal preference so again just looking to see who has run lead through theirs?

Buckman18

I bought the 301T in .410 for my daughter. Comes with a turkey choke. It put 126 #9 tss in 10 at 35 with a dirty barrel (sighted in with cheap AA #9's). For the heck of it, I shot a 3" Remington #6 and it didn't do good at all. Don't remember the exact total but it was about 25 or so hits.

Dtrkyman

I shot a 7.5 pheasant load at 25 yards years ago just to see the pattern and I'm baffled I had killed so many doves and pheasants with that pathetic pattern!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Southpaw

You're going to want to run TSS out of it if you want to shoot over 20 yards. The 301's have the potential to shoot well, but they are finnicky. It seems like they don't all shoot well with the same choke. Most guys I know have had to try a few different chokes and constrictions before they find the money maker. Once they find it, they shoot very well. I've heard of guys putting over 200 hits in a 10 inch circle, most of the "good" patterns I've seen are around 180ish.

jmart241

Are they getting those numbers with factory or handloads Thanks

Gobble!

Quote from: jmart241 on March 25, 2019, 08:03:07 PM
Are they getting those numbers with factory or handloads Thanks

The higher numbers are coming from Apex #9.5s or handloads. Seems the Federal #9s are good for 130s-160s from what I've seen.

If your using a .410 and lead forget shooting 40 yards.

fallhnt

Before factory TSS I used 7.5 under 20 yrds.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

DumpTruckTurkey

Ive been reading/hearing much about this gun latley.

I cant seem to find any Stevens M301 .410 Break-Action Turkey Shotgun?  Can someone PM me a place to get one possibly?

Thanks