OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rare WV bird down today

Started by earlybird, April 30, 2011, 06:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

earlybird

Finally had a calm morning today and the 1st place i go to ,nothing.So i take off to another spot,get set up,let out some yelps on a slate,one gobbles about 200yds away.I give him a few more yelps and here he comes with a hen leading the way.I decided to take the Mag 10 this morning and when he was about 30yds i shot,and missed,but he turned and came right at me and i got him with the next shot.When i first got to him and saw the beard,9 1/2",i rolled him over to look at the spurs and he didn't have any'not broke off,just didn't grow them.Has anyone else ever killed one without spurs,kind of rare i thought.

kylongbeards

It's been several years ago but I killed one just like that,I to thought it as odd seeing as he had a thick and I mean thick 10 3/4 " beard. Legs looked like he had been handed out a hens legs. Makes for a different kill ,but one with a pitiful score too,but one thing is for sure........they all taste the same .
Proudly providing the american turkey with a quick humane way of leavin this world ...and providin a good ole head stomp to finish the job !

Hevi-shot prostaff
DND Outdoors prostaff

hookedspur

Great job on the bird ,odd about the spurs ,I killed one three years ago with one spur.  :z-guntootsmiley:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

WVhuntEER

Congrats! I killed one this year with only one spur.  I guess it's just genetics.

Hognutz

Congrats on the bird.  :you_rock: I killed one in Mi. about 5 years ago that was two years old and no spurs, whatsoever. Not even a bump...Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

BOFF

One of the birds I'm most proud of was killed on a management area, and I called him across a river to me. He had a full fan, 9 inch beard, and no spurs. Nothing, not even a scab.  I had never heard of a gobbler not having spurs, until then.  

God Bless,
David B.

flintlock

1 longbeard w/no spurs.  Tasted just like the ones with them.   :)
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

WyoHunter

Congrats! Shot a bird in NE three years ago didn't have any spurs - not even bumps!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

neal

Quote from: Hognutz on April 30, 2011, 10:01:30 PM
Congrats on the bird.  :you_rock: I killed one in Mi. about 5 years ago that was two years old and no spurs, whatsoever. Not even a bump...Mike

Must be common in MI I've seen 3 or 4 in the U.P. with no spurs.
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

Wrangler95

:z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley:

Very nice gobbler,congrats!!!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

Turkasaurus

Congrats on your Turk! Killed one some years back that had one good spur and the other side was slick. Also killed them with broken off spurs, probably left it buried in another gobblers chest   :newmascot:
Fueled by Nitro Ammo Co.

bowhunter84

Basser69

Congrats on a nice bird. On the property where I hunt, there have been a few "spurless" birds killed.

Reloader

I killed one a few years back with one spur.  Hobbes has a pic of one that has none that his boy got this year.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase