turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mature gobbler-No spurs

Started by Bucktale, March 23, 2019, 04:52:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucktale

I called in this gobbler yesterday evening following a hen for my longtime fishing partner. He came in silently strutting. My buddy's second turkey ever and first in many years, though we've tried several times over the years.
Even though he's obviously a mature gobbler-thick 9 1/2 in beard, full fan, etc-he has no spurs. Legs completely slick like a hen. I've seen my share of gobblers, but this is a first for me. How often have you guys seen this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

randy6471

Congrats on the bird!

I've also seen alot of gobblers over the years and have only ever seen 2 without spurs. An Osceola that I shot about 5 or 6 years ago and an eastern shot in Pennsylvania about 10 years ago.

tomstopper

I have shot one once with only one spur on his one leg and the other completely bare. Have heard of some gobblers missing them all together too. Congrats

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

zelmo1

Congrats on the success. Rare to not have any spurs, but not a freak. Maybe a member of the " Jenner  Family"  :OGturkeyhead:

MK M GOBL

In all the birds I have ever been on there have been 2 gobblers with no spurs, both came out of the U.P. of Michigan and were shot a few years apart from each other but same ground. Guess a genetic trait, like hens with beards, multiple beards on a gobbler and such but a rare occurrence at that. I used to have a "family" that were all hunting the same farm and had killed 3-4 beards gobblers most every year, genetics of those birds...

MK M GOBL

renegade19

Clydetaylor1

I killed one a couple of years ago. Had a double beard and no spurs.

j.goebel

Wow that's different congrats on the bird!
Justin Goebel

LaLongbeard

I killed one couple years back same deal full fan long thick beard but not a hint of a spur on either leg not even a bump. I have killed them with broken spurs but this was the first no spur Gobbler I've seen. I guess maybe a genetic defect. I've killed  several in the exact same spot all had normal spurs.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

guesswho

Seen a few over the years, and also a few one spurred.   Certain areas have quite a few, just like multibeards.  Seems to be localized
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

snapper1982

i killed one in Kansas about 6 years ago that had no spurs.

Mossyguy

I've taken a few that had no spurs...definitely more common than you might think.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

NCL

The bird I killed last did not have even a hint of a spur.

1iagobblergetter

Congrats....Over the years I've only shot one with no spurs. You could tell It was genetics and that they weren't broke off. It had over a nine inch beard..