turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

STUMPY ceramics

Started by bbcoach, March 22, 2019, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcoach

I don't want to hijack the other ceramic posts but there are many that love Stumpy's ceramics.  I've heard the sycamore and it's awesome.  Some have the mahogany, the ambrosia maple, mahoe and walnut.  Let us know what you have, why you have it and how it sounds.  I'm looking to add a ceramic to my crystal and slate arsenal. 

coyote1

I have a sycamore and just sold an ambrosia maple. I liked the sound of the sycamore a little better than the maple, the maple had a little higher pitched yelp than the sycamore. With that said I killed 2 birds with the maple before I sold it. I got great response to the sycamore last season, it is one call that's always going to be in the vest.I have not tried the other wood combinations.

These are strikers I like on mine. Halloran blood wood & ipe, Bill Baublit blood wood and Matt MCclain black locust.

TauntoHawk

I have a mahogany on the way

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

TKE921

I got a mahogany a while back.  It sounds like a toned down version of a good crystal call to me.  It is also the easiest call to run I have ever used.  I was actually using it to teach my father-in-law to run a pot call while we were in Florida last week.  He liked mine so much he had me order him one as soon as we got back.

johnski

I have a mahogany that I just got on Monday.  It's definitely a nice sounding call and it will be with me on opening day. 

Harty

I have a Mahoe that rolls over into a beautiful rich rasp. I know there are members who have multiple surfaces. I would be interested in comparisons. I feel Chads Ceramics are such that I will be purchasing additional down the road. The previous comparison of the maple and sycamore is appreciated.

bbcoach

What strikers are you guys running on the ceramics?  I have several dymonwoods, hickory, purple heart, laminates and yellowheart.  Haven't went the IPE, ebony, black locust route yet for the crystal and slate yet.

MDTOM84

I have a sycamore now, great sounding pot. I didn't get it until after season last year so I will find out how the birds like it come April 18. My favorite striker is a Halloran one piece bloodwood, next is a Halloran one piece Ipe and 3rd is a good dymondwood striker

yelpy

I have a walnut and had a sycamore. Both run super with a Daryl Slaton bloodwood and I also like a McClain black locust on it.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

bbcoach

Quote from: yelpy on March 23, 2019, 11:09:47 AM
I have a walnut and had a sycamore. Both run super with a Daryl Slaton bloodwood and I also like a McClain black locust on it.

Yelpy, I've heard the sycamore via you tube but haven't heard the walnut.  Love the sound of the syc and leaning toward it.  What are the differences and why did you let the syc go?  I've narrowed my choices down to the syc or the walnut.  I like the look of the quarter sewn syc.  I'll give my bloodwood striker a go when I make a final decision.  Thanks.

SteelerFan

I have walnut / qtr sycamore/ mahogany (just in case Chad decides to quit making them... lol)

Out of my pots (each could be slightly different, even with same wood) I find the walnut and sycamore similar, and the mahogany more raspy. Can't go wrong with any. If I had to grab just one, I'd give the slight nod to the sycamore with a Lyman hickory striker. That combo just plays the way I like.

It is a super easy pot to run, and plays all across the surface. You can go dead center for subtle tree yelps and clucks, or run it all the way out for different pitch - multiple bird kinda thing.

yelpy

Quote from: bbcoach on March 23, 2019, 11:54:38 AM

Yelpy, I've heard the sycamore via you tube but haven't heard the walnut.  Love the sound of the syc and leaning toward it.  What are the differences and why did you let the syc go?  I've narrowed my choices down to the syc or the walnut.  I like the look of the quarter sewn syc.  I'll give my bloodwood striker a go when I make a final decision.  Thanks.
Try looking under the pot call sound files. There is a walnut sound clip run by footballer I believe.

yelpy

Quote from: yelpy on March 23, 2019, 01:42:43 PM
Quote from: bbcoach on March 23, 2019, 11:54:38 AM

Try looking under the pot call sound files. There is a walnut sound clip run by footballer I believe.

And yes I think I messed up selling the sycamore but the walnut is just fine too. I sold the sycamore and kind of regretted it so I picked up a walnut because it was listed in the classifieds. I really dont think you can go wrong with any of Stumpy ceramics.

vt35mag

I had a walnut, have 2 sycamore, 2 mahogany, and a mahoe. The mahoe is higher pitched and less raspy than the sycamore and mahogany. Mahogany is raspier than the sycamore, and has a little more pronounced backend to the yelp (not sure how to best explain it) than the sycamore.
Not sure why I parted with the walnut. Had to have been higher pitched than I like or sounded very similar to one I already had.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

bbcoach

Thanks guys for the replies.  Keep this going.  I have the higher pitch with the Halloran Twisted Sister, that thing is just nasty.  I also carry David's Crystal Mistress and a couple of slates so a ceramic with a little TUDE is just what I'm looking for.