OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gobbles up north

Started by zelmo1, March 22, 2019, 12:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelmo1

First gobbles up here in snow land, aka NH. A bunch of 12-15 gobblers playing grab . Surprised the crap out of me, lol. I may make it, only 5 1/2 weeks to go  :OGturkeyhead:

MK M GOBL

Here in WI, we had a quick warm up from all the snow on the ground and birds have been gobbling good since, seen a gobbler breed a hen today while out scouting. GAME ON!

MK M GOBL

quavers59

I heard my first Gobbles of the year last Saturday- March 16th up here in NY. HEARD over 20 of them.

SD_smith

Got a flock of about 200 birds on the river and they aren't really doing much. They gobble at each other, but no strutting or signs of going through the pecking order.

limbhanger777

Been gobbling here in NY for the beginning of February. Making me anxious for season. Also had these strutters on my tail cam yesterday!

Bowguy

I'm right on the NY line n I've experienced the same as limbhanger. I remember shoveling snow during storms and hearing birds gobble or watching birds display for over a month. Good stuff.

Plush

Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 22, 2019, 12:47:10 PM
Here in WI, we had a quick warm up from all the snow on the ground and birds have been gobbling good since, seen a gobbler breed a hen today while out scouting. GAME ON!

MK M GOBL

Are you in the southern part of the state?

Here in the north-centralish area haven't heard anything and the gobblers are still cruising in a group. Though this week is suppose to be toasty and I am hoping a good majority of the snow should exit.

turkaholic

Quote from: limbhanger777 on March 22, 2019, 02:50:44 PM
Been gobbling here in NY for the beginning of February. Making me anxious for season. Also had these strutters on my tail cam yesterday!

this is what keep me awake at night
live to hunt hunt to live

Harty

Here in SE wisconsin flocks are breaking up and this weekend with 50 degree days and sun a lot of gobbling

a_jabbo

Awesome pic!

limbhanger777

Quote from: a_jabbo on March 25, 2019, 12:47:44 AM

Awesome pic!

Thanks! Gets me so ready for turkey season!

Timmer

Here in MN they've been strutting quite a bit for a couple of weeks but I noticed them crank up the gobbling this last weekend.
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

zelmo1

Saw 25ish hens crossing a back road so I investigated. There were 12-15 strutters dancing around. One jake started strutting and he was immediately throttled. That got them gobbling and fighting purrs ensued. It was friggin awesome. I have never seen that many birds scrapping it out  :turkey2: :turkey2: :funnyturkey:

Plush

Decided to go out after our warmest day of the year. Was really windy before sunrise, but I wasn't getting a response from anything on the roost. After sunrise I went by a clear cut I thought I heard one last evening and saw some dip into a week ago off the road. Sure enough 4 gobblers I'd say were gobbling their heads off after they must have come down.

Not sure where they were off to, but they were booking it through the woods. They wouldn't shock gobble, but they sure were gobbling under their own terms.

The hens are still in large groups close to a dozen. Which is a big group in the hardwoods by me.