OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Nomad vs Cabelas Tactical Tat’r2

Started by RiverRoost, March 22, 2019, 08:44:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PALongspur

Had the Nomad for a day and returned it.

I'm on my second Tatr 2, it's a hard vest to beat. Other than the fact that the friction call pocket sucks of course.

RiverRoost

Quote from: PALongspur on March 22, 2019, 09:13:26 PM

I'm on my second Tatr 2, it's a hard vest to beat. Other than the fact that the friction call pocket sucks of course.

What don't you like? I don't have a problem with it and kinda like the layout. I like how the actual zippered pocked has some flex to it bc after my striker holders are full I can still stuff some strikers in there and the zippers give enough to bulge and fit the strikers in

PALongspur

Quote from: RiverRoost on March 22, 2019, 09:20:20 PM
Quote from: PALongspur on March 22, 2019, 09:13:26 PM

What don't you like? I don't have a problem with it and kinda like the layout. I like how the actual zippered pocked has some flex to it bc after my striker holders are full I can still stuff some strikers in there and the zippers give enough to bulge and fit the strikers in

None of the calls I carry will fit in those elastic/mesh sleeves, calls just end up riding in the bottom of the pocket. I wish it had a larger pocket similar to what the Tatr 3 had.

sbbow

Can you take the kick stand off of the tatr 2. I know they sell one with an with out but was wondering if I got the one with it that I could remove if I wanted to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kjnengr

Another happy Tactical Tat'r II vest user here. 

The pot call sleeves were tight on mine at first - almost too small.  After shoving my calls in a few times, the fabric seemed to stretch and/or my technique got better for getting them in there.  Maybe they are a little tight, but my Halloran and Woodhaven pots both fit in the pot call sleeves.

About the shell loops.... Although I would like to have a designated area with shell loops, I use a thick rubber band and wrap a few shells together and put them in one of the internal pockets where I keep my gloves and facemask.  The rubber band keeps them from clanging around. 

I really think the vest is perfect for me other than those two minor issues which are easily managed - at least for the way I use the vest and hunt.

FLGobstopper

Currently using the Tac Tat'r and keep a K&H RNG-200 packed for occasional quick hunt that might emerge or for the kids. I've had them all including the Dixon and Limbhanger and the Tat'r just works where the others have fallen short.

Looking at the Nomad it does seem like they've done a few things I like that are better than the Limbhanger and some worse so I'd say it's a toss up. I could hunt one but I think if I got one I would be left comparing it to the Tat'r. I think If I could take the camo patterns from Nomad, locator call pockets and conditioning patch from Dixon or Limbhanger and add that to the Tat'r I'd about have the perfect vest.

The Southpaw

I really don't like anything about the Nomad. The tactical tat'r has a ton of really good reviews.

Coop1082

Nomad. Great pocket layout and very functional. Have had zero issues out of mine. If I had to complain about anything I would be about the seat pad smushing thin over long sits but it's rare that I'm ever sitting for long enough for it to bother me. I did reinforce most seams with 30 pound fishing braid but I've done that with my past two vest for good measure also.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

bigbird

I've had a kickstand vest and now hunt with a nomad. I don't remember exactly what I didn't like about the kickstand one but it wasn't really bad but it wasn't what I wanted. I don't really like any of the vests personally but I'm tired of looking for something to carry a thermacell and my pots plus a seat.

kjnengr

Quote from: bigbird on March 25, 2019, 09:57:35 PM
I've had a kickstand vest and now hunt with a nomad. I don't remember exactly what I didn't like about the kickstand one but it wasn't really bad but it wasn't what I wanted. I don't really like any of the vests personally but I'm tired of looking for something to carry a thermacell and my pots plus a seat.

If all you're carrying is a thermacell, pots, strikers, and a seat, I would use a fanny pack.  The thermacell and calls can easily fit and be organized in a fanny pack and a sling can be added to the seat and carried just like your gun.