OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

portable ground blinds

Started by doepee, April 30, 2011, 09:45:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doepee

Which of the  portable ground blinds seem to be the best ? The ones that are 27 inches by 12 ft.  H.S. strut or the primos one with  the fiberglass poles that are sharpened.  Don't want a shiny one...

surehuntsalot

wife bought me a ground blind for christmas 2 years ago
6'x6' I love it
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

TheTwistedOne

This is the very setup I killed this years gobbler out of.  I was sitting with my back against the pine tree.  I set the thing up in a "U" shape in front of the tree and filled the back side of the "U" in with camo netting.  It's only a 12ft HS Strut screen.  That means each side of a "U" is only about 4ft.  That's tighter than you might think!  I don't like leaving the back side open so I recommend you plan on buying two screens or fill in the open back of the "U" with camo netting like I did.  Personally, I think I'm gonna buy another 12ft screen and carry both next year.

I only had permission to set up in the open pines.  Straight camo wasn't going to cut it.  Even a full fledged Gili suit in open pines like this might not be enough.  Honestly, it's an ideal place to use a pop up but this was a last minute hunt and I needed something I could set up quickly and take out same day.  This set up is light weight and quick to put up and take down.

The setup served me well!  Had three jakes pass within 15 yards of me and I remained completely undetected!  The boss gobbler was strutting in a field just out in front of this setup.  The three jakes ran out to harass him and put their brakes on HARD when they got within 50 yds of him.  They kept their distance when they realized just how much bigger he was then them!  It was hilarious watching them run out there like overconfident punks and watch the realization hit them that this bird was more than they could handle!  13 and 14lb jakes are no match for a 22lb 3 yr old + bird!  45 minutes of calling on the Screaming Demon II finally pulled him into range. 

The stick blind screens are useful and exactly what I needed on this hunt.