turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Who taught you?

Started by MK M GOBL, March 12, 2019, 09:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a_jabbo

My grandfather was an avid hunter. He introduced me to turkey hunting when I was 12. Looking back, I don't recall a lot of turkey hunts, but the first turkey I ever got was in the fall, which ended up being a combo kill when we both shot at the same time. We went out a few times in the spring, but with little success. My Uncle, also helped me out and let me tag along with him a few times. Once, I was able to drive, I really started getting into it, but because of baseball practice on Saturday's I didn't get out as much. The more I got into it, the more I searched for information to help me improve. I needed guidance with my calling, and bought a Primos CD on turkey calling, and listened to that everyday and followed along. Once I started getting the hang of it, I was all in. Today, me and my buddy go out every chance we get. I'd do anything to go back in time to hunt with my granddad and Uncle if I could.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

MS Boy

That is a awesome story you got MK.

My fathers best friend took me under his wing

and thought me everything I know but I have

hunted with Preston Pittman and Eddie Salter

before and have learn a little something from

each one of them as well.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dtrkyman

School of hard knocks!  It really didn't take me long to kill a bird but I made a pile of mistakes in the process!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kjnengr

Quote from: Gobspur on March 18, 2019, 09:58:23 PM
Me, myself, and I, and you all...

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Same here.  In fact, I'm quite surprised to see how many guys replied that they are pretty much self taught.

I've learned a few pointers from a friend that turkey hunts, and all over the internet, but what LITTLE I know is pretty much from my own experiences.  I wish I had more time to explore new to me land and was able to hunt areas with better populations of turkeys, but I enjoy the challenge nonetheless. 

The self taught mistakes make better memories and stick in your mind better anyway..... at least that's what I'm saying.  :toothy12:

High plains drifter

I started hunting them in my early 30's, and I made a lot of mistakes my first 10 years.Once I learned to call, and stay out of the open, I started getting gobblers.Then I started scouting, and glassing, and talking to farmers.I watched more experienced hunters, and now I'm better at it than the average joe.I tag out on cobblers every year, for the last 12, and the reason is,I learned from screwing up.I watched videos,  tv shows, met a few very good hunters, who have me some valuable tips, plus I had a lot of free time.You have to get out there at o dark thirty, and don't use any light.Shoot lead bb' s always, copper platted.Be very careful, when you move around, and wear gloves, and a facemask.Dont take a long shot.Stay close to water, and pick the right day to hunt.

SCGobbler

Pretty much self taught.

Had a few people that told me what I was doing wrong but not while hunting.

Took me about 6 years to learn how to use a mouth call and another 3 to kill my first turkey.  Started in 1986.
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

Tunaguy

Pretty much self taught. I used to do a lot of duck hunting in my younger days,but then life happened and I didn't get out that much.Turkey hunting had always interested me. I took my son a couple times, not knowing what we were doing but we kept at it. I started hunting with my friend Nick. He was a deer hunter but never hunted  turkeys. Together we began to figure it out. After about 7 years came the day I called in a flock and Nick shot a jake. Happy as s---t! Since then I have a couple under my belt. Still learning and still love it. As always thanks to the members of this forum for their invaluable information and tips.
" I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member." Groucho Marx

jblackburn

Self taught. One cousin kinda sorta turkey hunted, but not really into it. We had them growing up in missouri and I fumbled around and killed one in when I was 14, completely hooked my. I read everything I could get my hands on and even bought tame turkeys to have in the yard to listen to and learn how to call better.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Drycreek

Learning with my 15 year old son as we go and loving every minute!!

Dark Whiskey

Taught myself by time in the woods and making mistakes. Started hunting in the Mtns of SC in the mid 60's. Not many turkeys and times have changed as back then there were few turkey hunters and those that did hunt didn't want to help you at all

boomer

Self taught. Watched every Turkey hunting VHS I could get and any magazine that had Turkey hunting in it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Marc

I was self-taught.  Read books, and watched a few VHS videos...  Mainly books.

I learned in college, and was in a turkey-rich environment.  I was lucky enough to knock on doors and get access to some incredible properties with really, really high turkey populations.  I still had a rough time with far, far more failures than successes.  I killed some birds despite myself though.

With a background in duck hunting, learning how to make basic turkey sounds on a turkey call came fairly easily...  Being able to put the call down when a turkey was gobbling did not come so easily.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

The Southpaw

I'm self taught. Iv'e called in every bid that I've ever killed. I have learned an awful lot from my mistakes over the years, but in my opinion, those mistakes are more valuable than a person telling me what to do.

Turkeyman

I would consider myself self-taught, although I read everything turkey hunting related I could find for a period of time. I started back in 1976 and knew no turkey hunters, plus there were very few calls available anywhere. I bought a Lynch box call and that peg and slate call, which sounded terrible. But turkeys didn't mind! Then I bought the only diaphragm call available...the Ben Lee lead frame job...I'm sure some of you remember that. With all the excellent calls available nowadays, plus the plethora of excellent information via videos, etc., there's absolutely no reason for a beginner turkey hunter to not be reasonably successful...except for his lack of what I would call "turkey woodsmanship". That comes with time and experience.