News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Who taught you?

Started by MK M GOBL, March 12, 2019, 09:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timmer

Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 12, 2019, 09:09:09 PM
For myself I am self taught mostly, Wisconsin never had turkeys to hunt when I was young, after re-introduction a friend and I got interested in hunting them, I started by reading, watching VHS Video Tapes (Primos "The Truth" was first) went to seminars and learned a lot from our barn birds. But really had no one I knew that ever turkey hunted. I think this is one of the reasons I hunt with so many others looking to learn how to hunt turkeys, doing Learn to Hunt Programs, Mentor Program, Youth Seasons and such and why I got into doing Turkey Hunting Seminars/Clinics.

MK M GOBL

You and I are birds of a feather!  Here in MN I never heard of wild turkeys until the mid 90's, although I know they were around in the far southeast MN much earlier than that.  I honestly don't recall what motivated me to give it a shot.  I think it might have been a television hunting show.  I didn't know anyone who hunted them, so I watched videos and read books.  It quickly became my passion and it wasn't too long before I was hunting 2-3 states each spring.  I also joined a NWTF committee, and have participated in numerous MN Hunter Education seminars and mentor hunts.  I've got 3 school-aged kids and all of their activities so my active participation in the turkey community and number of hunts each year is down for the time being, but I'm still out there every spring in MN, and now my oldest is joining me!
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

Cpayne

A little guidance in the beginning from a cousin and self taught the rest of the way. I have been turkey hunting for 12 years, and I still learn something new with every hunt. The easterns in west central Alabama has to be some of the hardest birds to kill in my opinion. If it gets any harder, I have a whole lot more to learn!

silvestris

Kenny Morgan taught me over many years.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Bagg-it Tag-it

I remember being at a camp out on a friends farm early on in high school and hearing that mans dad had left early in the morning on a turkey hunt to LBL. This was the mid 80's. I had done some bird hunting and a wee bit of deer hunting and was just starting to get into duck hunting. I'd never heard of anyone hunting turkeys. We surely didn't have any in my county. There was a small fraternity of guys that hunted them at LBL and Ft Campbell. They didn't exactly advertise it and so I didn't really have an urge to do it because the birds were so rare. In later years we ended up having quite a few of them in my area. I resisted getting into it because I loved duck hunting and figured I didn't need another vice. Finally after thinking about it for years....I began chasing the birds with gusto in about 2000. Maybe I resisted because inside I knew it would be an all consuming desire. Which it turned out to be. I think my first year I hunted almost every other day. I didn't quite know what I was doing. I didn't have a hunting partner. I read all I could and watched early videos. I learned alot from reading/watching Harold Knight and David Hale. I had a friend at this point who grew up on a tobacco farm. His dad still lived on the land farming and was absolute death on turkeys and deer. My friend studied wildlife biology and was/is about the sharpest hunter I've ever known--even though we didn't and don't hunt much together. I picked his brain every chance I got (I'm sure he started avoiding my phone calls, haha). Towards the end of that first season....I actually worked up a gobbler in a creek bottom. Watching him work while spitting and drumming and knowing that I was about to bag him was the thrill of a lifetime. I still get worked up about that first bird. It has been a big learning curve and I'm by no means an expert--but the experiences of being out in Creation at a different time of year and following these wily birds is something I'm very happy I decided to experience and follow.

Ctrize

Got my start by myself and a 45rpm record then experience took the lead along with countless books  and videos.

TRG3

A friend took me turkey hunting a couple of times some 30 years ago. While we set up on gobblers on the roost, we never called in a bird nor did I see one. The next year, I got a Ben Lee tape, a box call, and practiced but still only took a tom about every third year for the next decade until I read an article by Ray Eye about emphasizing the peck order as a way to entice gobblers in. I tried it and now usually fill all three of my Illinois tags even through it may take a few days over three different short seasons to accomplish.

JeremyPennekamp

I taught myself.  Growing up on a farm in Southern Wisconsin after chores I would be in the woods all the time.  I took my first Tom at 13 and have been hooked.  I am proud that I have been able to pass this same passion to my boys. 

GobbleNut

I was "tutored" back in the 1960's via the pages of Sports Afield, Outdoor Life, and Field and Stream from the likes of Colonel Dave Harbour and a few others.  Since there were literally no mentors available at the time, the practical lessons in the field were strictly between me and Old Tom.  Unfortunately, he was a strict disciplinarian, and if I made a single error in applying that tutoring, he would give me an "F" and send me home with my tail tucked between my legs. 

It took about ten years before I finally passed the test,...and I've been getting even ever since.   ;D

Gobble!

My cousin and a buddy got me started. For actual teaching it was a Primos Master the Art DVD, a Scott Ellis DVD, Shane Simpson youtube videos and other knowledge I've acquired from places like this and the real world.

BD

makestomstremble

Father didn't hunt, but I met up with a couple of country boys from eastern Oklahoma that I was fortunate to get to hunt with. One of them had a wildlife biology degree and managed a game ranch in Texas for many years later. The other fellow was a veterinarian and had spent several years training race horses. Looking back on the hunts we shared I was lucky to get to be around both of them. A book that I found full of information is called the Turkey Hunters Digest written by Dwain Bland from Enid, OK. I met him once at a Backwoods Show in OKC and visited with him. Wish I could have hunted with him. Have not missed a spring since I started in 1983 and feel like I'm still learning.

mtns2hunt

Cousin taught me turkey and deer hunting. Polished what he taught by reading everything I could. Been on several guided hunts and learned a tremendous amount from the guides. Cost of the hunt was well worth the knowledge. Now it is this forum and several others I subscribe to. Still learning tho.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Gobspur

Me, myself, and I, and you all...

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Mbhyman88

A whole lot of trial and error, magazine articles, and two older friends at a hunting club I use to be a member of.  I'd tell them about my hunts and they'd give advice on where I messed up or things to try next time.  I've only killed turkeys while hunting solo which has been really tough but very rewarding.  By no means do I consider myself a good turkey hunter but I get better every year, learn something almost every time I go, and have become somewhat obsessed. 

jshark14

My cousin. And I will forever be grateful...a gift I could never repay...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk