turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Scope reflection spooking a bird

Started by limbhanger777, March 12, 2019, 11:52:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

limbhanger777

Has anyone had any experience with light reflecting off a scope and spooking a bird?

Or was this just a marketing stunt for Nikon to sell their scopes?

If this is more than just a sales pitch and someone has experienced spooking a bird, I may consider an Anti-Reflective Device for my Leupold going on my turkey gun.

Thanks!

trkehunr93

I can say my Mossberg 500 was a bit to shiny and cost me a fall turkey one morning years ago but I was set up in a spot where the sun was reflecting off my barrel/receiver.  I would think unless your facing the rising or setting sun at the edge of an open field and thats the only set up spot you have that the sun is is higher in the sky as the day progresses for that to be a huge issue.  I think its just a marketing ploy that a few will buy into but I've been wrong before and others may have had different experiences.  I can't say it's happened with the scope I have on my 835.     

Daggerz

I have never knowingly had it spook a bird, but have friends, that have.  If in a situation, where the sun is beaming on me, I now catch myself, placing my hand over my Vortex Venom, as needed, in hopes of not becoming a statistic. 

longspur

I don't know if it happens much or not but a scope on a shotgun is definitely something else for them to see. Their eyes being their main survival tool I keep it to a minimum. Some people can't shoot without one. I couldn't either until I found multi focal contacts.

1iagobblergetter

I've never spooked one while using one,but could believe it happening with the sun hitting the lense.
Look at the bright side if it runs off you don't have to clean it and can hunt longer.. :funnyturkey:

SinGin

Just do what military snipers do and put a small amount of grass in the front. Hides the shine and suprisley you can't really see it when you look through it.

nyhunter

Yes I have had it happen to me with my red dot scope, I now have a flip open scope cap that I can close if the sun hits on my scope. I shoot both eye's open so the scope cap being closed doesn't bother at all. Not sure how this would work with a scope that has magnification .

mtns2hunt

I would think that the objective size and finish on your scope would have an impact.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Dtrkyman

My friends dad had a couple birds get spooky for no reason last year, we looked at his sight and it was ridiculous the amount of glare, if we could see it then how could a turkey not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

I pulled a TRS 25 red dot off my gun after having two birds spook because of it last season.  I'm convinced that is what spooked them.
I looked the Nikon Spur over real well (like a FFIII) and it had no reflective glare as best I could tell.  But it's Nikon and RutnNStrutn says I can't buy one. :TooFunny:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

310 gauge

Don't use a sight so I can't relate. I do however make my morning set up facing anyway but the East. My afternoon hunts are in the shady side of the field because I know that's where they will be when they come out to play. This is of course when I do my still hunting gig.

Greg Massey

Never , most of the time if he can see my gun or scope reflection he's DEAD ...

appalachianstruttstopper

Stay in the shade. One of the biggest problems I've seen is setting where the sun is shining on you. Scope or no scope you gonna show up like your glowing imo.

compton30

Quote from: appalachianstruttstopper on March 13, 2019, 01:14:02 AM
Stay in the shade. One of the biggest problems I've seen is setting where the sun is shining on you. Scope or no scope you gonna show up like your glowing imo.

The part you mentioned about glowing reminded me of how when you see a deer in the setting or rising sun. They just glow in that sunlight. Same principle applies here.