OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey hunting is hard..

Started by Spring_Woods, April 29, 2011, 09:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spring_Woods

"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

ccleroy

Bustabeak

Well...... Its never been easy for me. Maybe I'm just not good though.

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Spring_Woods

Quote from: Bustabeak on April 29, 2011, 09:25:51 PM

Same here, but I feel like I improve every year. Every year I learn something new. I think it's pretty hard. Considering that we are essentially making them do opposite of what nature says is natural, the reversal makes it hard.

I think the population in your area + the number of hunters adds to the difficulty level as well. In my areas by the third week of the season the birds are usually smoked (iow, heard all kinds of calls a lot).

Quote from: ccleroy on April 29, 2011, 09:15:17 PM
It's not supposed to be easy!

True. But it sure seems easy in some areas like Kentucky? I'm not trying to open a can of worms. But let's say someone is hunting an area with LOTS of birds per 100 acres vs. a hunter hunting 100 acres with only a few birds..

This also brings up another important point. Who's the more skilled hunter in this ^ situation? Someone who kills out in a highly populated area, or someone who doesn't kill one in a lower populated area? Given all is equal as far as time afield..
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

cannonball

FireFly908

Turkey hunting is ALWAYS easy and fun!  Managing to shoot a bird  can be challenging but that is what makes it fun!

bowhunter84

it can be tough and challenging but that what keeps us coming back season after season!

ccleroy

Quote from: Spring_Woods on April 29, 2011, 09:46:03 PM
Quote from: Bustabeak on April 29, 2011, 09:25:51 PM

Same here, but I feel like I improve every year. Every year I learn something new. I think it's pretty hard. Considering that we are essentially making them do opposite of what nature says is natural, the reversal makes it hard.

I think the population in your area + the number of hunters adds to the difficulty level as well. In my areas by the third week of the season the birds are usually smoked (iow, heard all kinds of calls a lot).

It's not supposed to be easy!

True. But it sure seems easy in some areas like Kentucky? I'm not trying to open a can of worms. But let's say someone is hunting an area with LOTS of birds per 100 acres vs. a hunter hunting 100 acres with only a few birds..

This also brings up another important point. Who's the more skilled hunter in this ^ situation? Someone who kills out in a highly populated area, or someone who doesn't kill one in a lower populated area? Given all is equal as far as time afield..

Your ? Is skewed.......a true turkey killer can and will adapt to any given situation and make it work regardless on high/low density,that being said you have to have birds on property to kill them......the true test of someone's skill is to put them on the lower of the 2 property's and see how they fair. Seasons upon seasons of hours logged in the spring woods is what it takes to become a great turkey hunter,well that and walking out with a a lot of turkeys across your back.

HARDCORE

Seasons upon seasons of hours logged in the spring woods is what it takes to become a great turkey hunter

Dead on Ricky.

HC

ericjames

Well I personally this year have had a few birds the first 2 of the year that was just too easy and I thought to myself that I was getting pretty good to go out and hunt for a total of 45 min. An in 2 days and have 2 on the bed of the truck. But the next few taught me some lessons and let me know I wasn't as good as I thought. Now  I don't know about yall but every one I kill I almost feels like the first I still get that joy in my heart.I imagine that if it ever got easy I would probably quit cause I believe I would eventually would loose intrest in it.

Now I hunt birds mostly down in SE Mississippi and SW Alabama so a lot would know these birds will make you feel stupid sometimes for me I personally have spent 3 weeks trying to kill just one bird and sometimes never get him.So I vote it can be very hard especially when they don't talk to ya.

hoyt

I've found that it can be real hard or real easy....according to how educated the birds are. I've also found that they learn real quick.

doepee

I have been done by 6:15 in the morning right after flydown, and some years I never even took a shot. To me and this is me If I went out there and just blasted a bird right off all the time what fun would that be? I enjoy the hunt itself , trying to call them in different strategies on different birds and different hunts and just being out there in solitude by yourself or huntin with a buddy is what makes it FUN to me..